The appearance of a sore throat when swallowing can provoke many reasons - from mechanical damage to serious diseases of the body. Concomitant symptoms, as well as the nature of the pain, will help to clarify the situation and take the necessary measures. Let's see what could be the causes of a sore throat and how you can relieve yourself.
In most situations, the appearance of a sore throat when swallowing is an indication that a bacterial or viral infection is present in the body, and also indicates a weakened immune system that does not cope with it.
Hypercooling of the body can serve as a push to weaken the protective forces - sometimes it is enough to drink a glass of cold water in the heat to strike the immune system. All this leads to the emergence of such inflammatory diseases such as:
- Pharyngitis. In this disease, the back of the pharynx is inflamed, a dry cough, pain and sore throat appear, and fever is possible. Not only infectious diseases can provoke pharyngitis, but also an aggressive effect on the mucous membrane: inhalation of dust, gases, ingestion of too cold or hot food;
- Tonsillitis. Symptoms of this disease are severe pain in the throat when swallowing (this is due to inflammation and enlarged tonsils), high fever, weakness, and headaches. The cause of the disease can most often be staphylococcal and streptococcal infections;
- Laryngitis. Symptoms of the disease: dry cough, dry and sore throat, hoarseness or loss of voice. All of this can be caused either by infectious or catarrhal diseases, or by overstressing the larynx, inhalation of dust, or other effects on the mucous membrane.
An indication that a sore throat is caused by an acute respiratory viral infection is associated symptoms such as runny nose, fever, chills, headaches, cough, swollen lymph nodes, inflammation of the eyes.
Sore throat when swallowing without fever
If the sore throat is not accompanied by fever, then the reason for this may be damage to the mucous membrane or diseases of non-infectious origin:
- allergy to flowering plants, polluted air, animal dander, tobacco smoke, cold, certain foods - all this can cause inflammation of the throat mucosa;
- too dry air;
- inhalation of cold air;
- damage to the larynx by foreign bodies — fruit or fish bones, too dry or large pieces of unwrought food, cereal shells;
- burn the mucous membrane of the larynx;
- aphthous stomatitis;
- chronic fatigue syndrome;
- the formation of a benign or malignant tumor of the throat;
- laryngeal tuberculosis;
- chronic pharyngitis caused by overstressed muscles of the larynx;
- some sexually transmitted diseases;
- Diseases of the digestive tract: duodenal ulcer, spasms and stenosis of the esophagus.
Constant sore throat: causes
If your throat doesn’t stop hurting after 2 weeks, this can indicate serious health problems, such as:
- the transition of tonsillitis or pharyngitis to the chronic form. If it is not possible to cure these diseases for a long time, it is necessary to identify and eliminate their root cause. It may be caries, impaired microflora of the mucous membrane, sinusitis, weak immunity;
- the presence of HIV infection in the body;
- cancer of the throat or larynx.
How to alleviate the condition?
In many cases, you can fairly quickly improve your condition at home, with the help of folk remedies and medicines, sometimes you can relieve pain even in 1 day. Before you begin treatment, you need to understand what causes sore throat, and if you are pregnant, then treat your throat with extreme caution. Usually, doctors recommend medications (sprays, pills, lozenges) that have anti-inflammatory and antiseptic effects to relieve discomfort.-
A good anti-inflammatory effect is given by warm rinses 3-4 times a day:
- weak potassium permanganate solution;
- a solution of sea salt with the addition of iodine;
- lugol solution;
- tea mushroom;
The following measures can be very effective in eliminating pain, irritation and dryness in the throat:
- A large amount of warm liquid throughout the day: herbal teas (chamomile, mint, fennel, plantain, thyme) and milk with honey, cinnamon. Be sure to drink clean water to remove toxins from the body, especially during therapy with drugs and antibiotics.
- Inhalations with brewed herbs: chamomile, lavender, oregano, calendula. • Feet, throat and chest must be kept warm. Very useful hot foot bath.
- Warming compresses using a 10% solution of salt, decoctions of herbs, vegetable oil, clay, alcohol, vinegar or potatoes.
- The use of citrus and other sources of vitamin C.
- Reducing the load on the throat. It should be as little as possible to talk, as well as eat soft warm food, not a traumatic throat.
- To give up smoking.
If you are being treated at home, you must monitor your condition and immediately consult a doctor if the following symptoms appear:
- significant loss of body weight;
- labored breathing;
- the appearance of blood in the stool;
- sore throat lasting more than 2 weeks.
Since the sore throat is most often the result of the fact that the protective functions of the body are weakened, it is necessary to strengthen the immune system, ensure proper rest and nutrition, avoid stress and lead an active and healthy lifestyle. Together, all these factors will help the body to gain strength and resistance to diseases, and, therefore, to restore good health and improve the quality of life.