In the vulnerable cavity of the peritoneum are very important organs. Therefore, if the left side of the abdomen hurts, it is necessary to find the cause of this phenomenon and do it as quickly as possible. "Just so" can not get sick here. Let us try to determine what can disturb a person, and find out which specialist the profile and when to contact.
Common to all and the most common factors
This symptom, according to doctors, can give up to 500 different health problems. The nature of pain is also different: aching, cramping, etc. But this is always a sign of disturbances or even serious diseases. Here are the main reasons that most often hurt the left side of the abdomen:
- urolithiasis disease. Additionally, there is an increase in temperature, the transformation of urine into turbid (sometimes it becomes noticeable blood);
- inflammatory process in the large intestine. The pain will have such "companions" as bloating, upset stool (constipation or diarrhea);
- malabsorption is the impossibility of digesting certain foods. The pain is spastic, there is a feeling of distention;
- Crohn's disease. Not her indicates loss of appetite, pain in the lower abdomen, vomiting, diarrhea, a state of weakness;
- nonspecific ulcerative colitis. It is manifested by seizures (a person has a "missing" stomach);
- irritable bowel syndrome. The pain comes, then goes away, during exacerbation, bloating periodically occurs, the chair is broken;
- polyps in the intestines;
- intestinal obstruction. The pain is quite intense, gases accumulate in the intestines, and stagnation in any part of the intestine provokes intestinal asymmetry. Nausea, vomiting occurs;
- volvulus. "Hellish" pain, which then decreases, then increases, vomiting;
- diverticulitis - protrusion of the intestinal walls, where food begins to stagnate and rot;
- kidney disease - pyelonephritis, nephroptosis. If the inflammation has affected the left kidney, then the pain can trap the lower back and the abdominal cavity. Among the accompanying symptoms for which it is possible to diagnose renal pathologies are frequent urination, edema, general malaise;
- acute expansion, inversion, abscess, or spleen infarction. The patient experiences pain on the left, he develops nausea, vomiting, and hyperthermia (the numbers on the thermometer reach 39);
- oncological diseases of the intestine, spleen and kidneys.
Possible diagnoses for women
If the left side of the abdomen hurts in women, then suspicion should fall on the diseases of the reproductive organs, namely:
- inflammation of the fallopian tubes. The disease is manifested not only by pain: vaginal secretions are observed, the temperature jumps. At first, just a little “pain”, then the pain becomes acute;
- endometriosis, or the pathological proliferation of epithelial cells beyond the borders of the uterus (sometimes this process extends to the intestine). This disease is often manifested by dysmenorrhea;
- torsion and rupture of the ovary. You can learn this ailment not only by pain, but also by other symptoms: pallor of the skin, falling blood pressure, increased heart rate, vomiting, hyperthermia;
- cyst of the left ovary;
- acute adnexitis, salpingo-oophoritis. Acute pain, aggravated by pressure on the ovary;
- tissue irritation from the intrauterine device;
- ectopic pregnancy. It manifests itself with acute pain, "flowing" from one side to the other. It may increase when walking and turning the body;
- consequences of abortion.
Natural processes such as ovulation and menstruation may also be the culprit. These are the most harmless reasons. Such discomfort is not dangerous and passes without the help of doctors.
There are especially male diseases, the symptom of which is the described symptom. Most often, the left side of the abdomen hurts a man for such reasons:
- inflammation of the spermatic cord;
- inflammation in the testes;
- testicular torsion;
- inflammation of the epididymis.
All these pathologies are serious enough, so do not be careless. If the man is constantly (or periodically) worried about such discomfort, then it is better to ask the doctor (urologist) about the reason.
Why hurt the left side of the abdomen during pregnancy: specific causes
When a woman is “in position,” she, too, may have problems with her kidneys and digestive tract organs, which will cause pain in the area described. But for the expectant mother, this zone often hurts for reasons related to pregnancy.
So, the discomfort can be due to the fact that the intestines have to gradually move, freeing up space for the growing uterus. This leads to the fact that the food moves non-rhythmically through the intestinal loops, causing dull pain. The growing fetus puts pressure on the organs and provokes pain.-
Specific gynecological cause - the tone of the uterus. It is far from harmless, because the result of hypertonus may be a miscarriage. Pregnant women often have cervical failure; at the same time the body is weakened, does not withstand the pressure of the fetus. Without prompt medical intervention, the case may end in preterm labor. Lower left pain in the early stages can warn about ectopic pregnancy or premature detachment of the placenta.
Guess what exactly gives such a symptom, the expectant mother is extremely dangerous. If the pain arose sharply and rapidly increases, it does not bode well - you should quickly call an ambulance. If the pain lasts longer than an hour, there is also no need to hesitate - call the medical help!
Where to look for the cause if the child complains?
If the child has a left side in the lower abdomen, it should be examined for pathologies of the intestine, spleen and urinary organs.
If the painful sensations are disturbed after physical training or training, they may be associated with a load on the abdominal muscles. Sometimes pain expresses its "indignation" stomach. This happens if the child refuses school lunches, and snacks on crisps, sweets, and flour, and he drinks it down with soda. Then the discomfort can be a "hello" from developing gastritis.
The pain in this section of the abdomen may "hint" for the presence of worm infestation, which is quite common, as children do not always follow the rules of personal hygiene.
How to relieve your condition and should it be done?
A painful character can be tried to be eliminated with the help of Noh-shpy. It is best to lie down and try to find a position of the body in which it subsides. Receiving strong painkillers without establishing the exact cause is a big mistake! This can "smear" the symptoms, and it will be difficult for the doctor to make a correct diagnosis. It is also extremely dangerous to apply a heating pad to the sore spot and make compresses.
If left-sided pain is a concern, then you should consult such doctors: a gynecologist, a surgeon, a urologist, a gastroenterologist, an infectious diseases specialist. If the pain increases, the person loses consciousness, then immediately dial the number of the ambulance!
In the stomach is a complex system of digestion. The reasons leading to pain in the left side of the abdomen are numerous. Therefore, if you want to preserve health, then do not try to diagnose yourself, go through professional diagnostics and treatment. At the same time, in some cases it is necessary to show special promptness.