One of the most unpleasant and unaesthetic diseases of the feet is the so-called foot bone. Most often, the disease affects women - up to 98% of all episodes. What to do if such a deformation occurs, and a bone on the leg hurts? Modern medicine has taken care to prevent and correct this ailment.
A bump that appears on the legs in the area of the thumb, in medicine appears as a valgus deformity of the first toe. It develops when the phalanges of the thumbs are deflected outward, and the head of the metatarsal bone in the transverse arch moves inward. After fixing the bones in the wrong position, they put pressure on soft tissues. As a result, so-called natops appear, the amount of adipose tissue decreases. A cosmetic defect known as a bump appears on the outside.
The deviation of the metatarsal bone is the main answer to the question of why the bones on the legs are formed and hurt. Among the factors for the development of foot deformities are the following:
- mechanical foot injuries;
- the presence of flatfoot;
- hormonal disruptions;
- active wearing high heels shoes.
There are 4 stages of pathology development:
- at stage 1, the finger deviates by 10-20 degrees, there are aesthetic inconveniences;
- at stage 2, there is a deviation of 20-30 degrees, and the bone on the leg near the thumb hurts after a long walk or run;
- at stage 3, the displacement reaches 30-50 degrees, and the painful sensations become permanent;
- in stage 4, the displacement exceeds 50 degrees, and the deformation extends to other fingers.
In the initial stages of the disease, the bone on the leg hurts slightly, but there is swelling and redness of the skin in the area of the thumb.
Noticing these symptoms, you should immediately contact a specialist, because the disease can not pass by itself. Symptoms are aggravated when untreated, all new calluses and scuffs appear. Deformation becomes noticeable, and pain increases. Such a picture is fraught with not only pain, but also a decline in the patient’s quality of life. So, it is harder and harder for him to pick up shoes: ordinary models bring discomfort.
What to do if the bones in the legs continue to grow and ache? The method of treatment of the disease depends on the stage and severity of symptoms.
The initial stages involve conservative therapy, including the use of such orthopedic devices:
- special screeds designed to support the forefoot;
- insoles and instep supports, which allow to evenly distribute the load on the foot;
- tires, fixing the thumb in the correct position;
- correctors used to hold your finger in the desired position during sleep.
Conservative therapy allows you to stop the process of deformation. Often, such a set of measures includes physiotherapy, contributing to the improvement of blood circulation in the muscles and ligaments of the foot. These include gymnastics for the feet, special baths and massage.
In addition, therapeutic measures apply to the diet. The patient is recommended to refuse fatty, fried, spicy and floury foods and dishes. If the patient has a big bone of the big toe, the nonsteroidal medication for local or internal use is prescribed.-
Special attention is paid to the choice of shoes. Preference is given to comfortable and spacious models. It should be noted that conservative treatment is effective only at stages 1 and 2 of the disease. Further, more serious medical technologies are used.
When the disease reaches stage 3-4, the doctor recommends a surgical method of treatment. Its modern versions with valgus deformity are often less traumatic. Today, there are about 150 operating methods for adjusting the angle between the phalanges of the first toe. The recovery period takes only a couple of days. Treatment does not involve the use of gypsum or crutches. The patient is prescribed special shoes and insoles to prevent recurrence.
The most severe forms of the disease are treated by the osteotomy method. The bones are fixed with special screws, so they are held in the desired position. This type of operation requires a longer recovery period - up to 1.5 months.
What does the national arsenal offer?
It happens that a person has sore bones on the big toes, but surgical treatment causes fear or mistrust. Such patients often resort to popular methods of getting rid of the disease. The range of home solutions to the problem is very wide. They help reduce inflammation, increase blood flow and eliminate pain.
The most famous recipes are as follows:
- tincture of dandelions and iodine: flowers filled in with it infuse for 4-5 days, after which the composition is applied on the inflamed legs (on the affected area) in the form of a net;
- mashed propolis dressing is applied for 8 hours directly on the bump;
- honey and cabbage leaves are also applied on steamed feet, wrapped in a bandage and left overnight;
- salt in the amount of 2 tablespoons and 2 drops of iodine diluted in a liter of warm water, then take the bath for a stop for 15 minutes.
All procedures should be carried out daily in a course of 14-30 days. It should be borne in mind that the use of folk recipes is advisable only in the early stages of the disease. If it was not possible to stop the development of the disease in an unconventional way, it is best to contact an orthopedic doctor for qualified help.
It is important to remember that a disease such as valgus deformity does not suddenly appear, taking one by surprise. An unaesthetic bone forms over time. The first signs of such changes should be a signal to visit the doctor. And there are ways to deal with them.