Abdominal pain in the navel area is a symptom of various diseases. Often we treat it as a minor trifle, but the cause of such pain can be the first sign of a complex and serious illness. It is important to remember that with severe persistent pain it is worthwhile to immediately consult a doctor.
Let's see why there may be pain around the navel.
Causes of pain in the navel
To determine the root cause of pain in the navel, it is necessary to visually divide the abdomen into three zones:
- around the navel;
- below the navel;
- above the navel.
Causes of painful cramps in the navel may be as follows:
- Elongated education on the navel - hernia. Accompanied by gagging, nausea, problems with the normalization of the chair and pain around the navel. Requires urgent medical intervention.
- Appendicitis. Acute pain affects different areas of the abdomen, with time the pain appears in the right side. It is characterized by the most severe pain with pressure, palpitations, temperature.
- Enteritis - aching pain in the navel. Feeling heavy in the stomach after eating. The disease is accompanied by signs such as dry skin, brittle hair and nails.
- Cancer of the small intestine. Accompanied by nausea, a sharp loss in weight, lack of appetite, pale skin, general weakness of the body, spasms.
- Inversion of the intestine. It is characterized by the appearance of sharp pain in the central region of the navel. Accompanied by gas, constipation, vomiting and spasms.
If it hurts over the navel
Painful cramps in the abdomen above the navel can cause such diseases:
- Gastritis. This is the first sign of the possible appearance and development of peptic ulcer. Due to inflammation of the mucous membrane of the stomach, a person feels a sharp burning sensation and discomfort.
- Stomach ulcer. It is an open bleeding wound on the wall of the stomach and is accompanied by a sharp burning pain of a pulsating nature.
- Duodenal ulcer. It differs from a stomach ulcer only in its location. Symptoms and sensations are the same.
- Cancer of the stomach. This is the most dangerous and serious disease. It is characterized by the appearance of malignant cells on the walls of the stomach. It is treated by opening the stomach and removing the tumor, conducting chemistry and radiation therapy.
Pain in the area below the navel
The pain below the navel may be due to the following pathologies:
- Cystitis - an infectious inflammation of the bladder. The disease is more common in women.
- Endometriosis - endometrial pathology of the uterus. Accompanied by a sensation of pain at the bottom of the navel and lower back.
- Uterine fibroids - the formation of a benign tumor of the uterine organ. Removed along with the uterus surgically.
- Uterine cancer - the formation of malignant tumors on its walls. Surgical removal of the uterus along with the appendages. Chemistry and radiation therapy are prescribed.
- Ovarian cancer. Treatment and therapy are similar to uterine cancer.
- Inflammation in the pelvic cavity. Accompanied by sensations of abdominal pain.
- Ischemia of the intestinal tube. The primary symptom is acute pain in the navel and below. Accompanied by nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, blood in the stool.
- Aneurysm of the abdominal aorta. It is characterized by protrusion of the abdominal aorta wall. In its advanced form, it can be fatal.
Does it hurt around the navel in pregnant women: norm or pathology?
Pain in the navel during pregnancy is most often natural. With an increase in the fetus, the skin on the abdomen of the woman is also stretched, causing aching pain. Another reason may be insufficient development of the muscles of the abdominal area and, as a result, the growth of the fetus and its mass leads to the appearance of an umbilical hernia. But do not panic in advance, usually after birth, the navel takes its usual form. To protect yourself from possible complications, it is necessary to seek the advice of your doctor.
The source of pain in the navel area during pregnancy can also be a slight displacement of the internal organs. Due to this, the round ligament of the liver is tightened, which creates a certain discomfort.
Spasmodic umbilical pain, vomiting, diarrhea, increased body temperature - the most disturbing signals. Such pain is caused by intestinal infection and may lead to abortion.-
In any case, in the event of an unpleasant sensation in the abdomen, consult a doctor.
When does this symptom appear in a child?
Children's diseases, especially if the stomach around the navel hurts, require special attention from parents and pediatricians. The source of pain can be various factors:
Violation of the gastrointestinal tract, food poisoning. Accompanied by vomiting, diarrhea, fever. With such symptoms, an urgent need to call a doctor. In babies, abdominal pain can be caused by colic. If a child calms down after a waste of gas, then you should not panic. Stomach obstruction in the newborn. Characterized by abdominal distension and vomiting. The process requires medical intervention.
Older children may experience abdominal pain with colds, such as flu and sore throat.
In any case, it is not necessary to engage in self-treatment, because the children's body is most susceptible to various types of intervention. It is necessary to put the child to bed, soothe and call an ambulance.
What to do with abdominal pain?
It is important to recognize a critical situation and call a doctor in time. This should be done immediately if you have noticed the following signs:
- sharp, constant pain, vomiting, loose stools;
- pain on the right side of the abdomen in the area of the appendix;
- blood in vomit and feces.
It is important to know that in case of intense pain one should not feed and water the patient, as well as give any medications. It is necessary to place the patient in a vertical position: bend the legs at the knees, put a high pillow or a hard roller under the head. And, of course, you should call the doctor.
Remember that any self-treatment can lead to critical results. Most often, the clinical picture of the course of the disease is blurred and inaccurate. Only an experienced doctor can determine the true cause of pain in the navel. Early treatment will help to stop even the most serious diseases.