If your elderly mom or dad complains that they have sore feet (or you yourself have such a problem), then do not be lazy to go to a health facility. After all, this is how arteriosclerosis of the lower extremities can begin. Symptom analysis and treatment of such a severe illness is a task that an experienced doctor should solve.
The vessels are in danger: where is atherosclerosis hiding?
A sad lead in the number of deaths are diseases of the CAS. And among such pathologies, the most common is chronic vascular disease, atherosclerosis. He is not in a hurry, but he confidently strikes them one by one, causing them to become covered with plaques inside and lose their former elasticity and permeability. The disease can develop its destructive activity in the brain, in the heart, in the extremities (obliterating appearance), vessels of the kidneys and intestines. If the legs are involved in the pathological process, intermittent claudication and so-called develop. dry gangrene. This is a very serious illness that is difficult to treat.
Although atherosclerosis is considered a problem for the elderly (its symptoms varying in their severity are present in all people over 60 years old), its first manifestations are found even in children and adolescents. Men are more susceptible to vascular disease than women.
Manifestations of the disease
Atherosclerosis at first does not signal its presence with any symptoms or manifests itself only with intense physical activity.
The first thing a person can pay attention to is pain in the gastrocnemius muscle and lameness. But these signs are temporary, they appear only with a long walk and disappear rather quickly without any medical assistance.
If no action is taken at this stage, then the lameness will become more and more annoying, even if a person has to walk a short distance. It ends with the fact that the pain in the calf muscles becomes its constant companion, and it gradually spreads to the foot.
But obliterating atherosclerosis of the vessels of the lower extremities reports about itself and other symptoms. These include:
- sore leg goes numb and cold. Such discomfort becomes stronger with a load on it;
- the affected limb will feel colder to the touch. If you measure its temperature, then such tactile sensations will be confirmed by the thermometer readings;
- the skin on the foot becomes very dry, flakes and cracks. Huge suffering brings cracked heels;
- ulcers often appear on the limbs with affected vessels. The wounds, despite the use of healing ointments, are not drawn out soon;
- on the fingers and in the lower third of the leg, the skin becomes darker;
- pulse disappears on the artery in the thigh area.
If there are at least a couple of the above symptoms, it is urgent to contact the health facility.
The disease develops for a long time and moves from one stage to another. At the initial stage, the legs ache after overcoming serious distances. In the second, the pain occurs if you had to walk only 200 m, in the third the distance is reduced to 50 m (in addition, pain may appear without load). At the last stage ulcers, gangrenous manifestations are formed.
What is the examination to pass?
Diagnosing an ailment at the stage when the characteristic symptoms have already been felt is not difficult. The main thing is to determine where the process is located, and to establish the location of the lesion.
The first thing a doctor asks is if there is a suspicion of atherosclerosis of the lower extremities, symptoms, and treatment will depend on their severity. The specialist will ask the patient what his blood pressure is, whether he had a heart attack (stroke), coronary artery disease, diabetes mellitus, and whether there are any abnormalities in the kidneys. The weight of the patient is important.-
Then the doctor will perform an examination, during which she will pay attention to loss of hair on the limbs, weight loss, increased sweating, heart rhythm disturbances, swelling and deformation of the nail plates. The patient will be issued a referral for a blood test for cholesterol. You will also have to undergo X-ray and angiography (it consists of injecting a contrast agent into the bloodstream to determine the vascular permeability), an ultrasound scan.
Getting treatment: what medications will help?
In 80% of cases, drug therapy helps to eliminate the causes and consequences that are provoked by atherosclerosis of the lower extremities. Treatment (drugs should be prescribed only by a doctor!) Usually includes the following groups of drugs:
- Statins - reduce the content and the formation of cholesterol (in parallel, drugs are prescribed to maintain the functioning of the heart and digestive organs);
- fibrates - reduce the production of fatty acids;
- LCD sequestrants inhibit the synthesis of bile acids;
- nicotine preparations. Produce a vasodilator and antispasmodic effect;
- drugs that prevent blood coagulation;
- cytazole - dilates the arteries, provides oxygen to the affected organs;
- trental is a blood-thinning drug. Helps to normalize blood flow.
In addition, physiotherapy is used.
When are surgeons involved?
If the pathological process has gone too far, then do a little blood does not work, you have to use surgical methods. These include:
- shunting It consists in the fact that the affected vessel is hemmed to a healthy one, laying a new blood “trunk”;
- vascular prosthetics. With the help of artificial materials form a new vessel;
- angioplasty. The doctor inserts an endoscope into the femoral artery, reaches the cholesterol plaque and cleans the vessel.
Folk arsenal for the victory over atherosclerosis
Plants will help to heal and prevent atherosclerosis of the vessels of the lower extremities. Treatment of folk remedies can be carried out using the following recipes:
- garlic tincture. Take exactly 50 grams of garlic. Mash in a mortar, pour gruel with 200 ml of vodka. Leave the mixture in a warm unlit place for a week. Shake it periodically. Drink 3 p. per day according to this scheme: 10 cap. tinctures for 1 tsp. water. When emptying the tank, take a break for 2 months. Spend 5 courses;
- coniferous composition. Fill a 2-liter jar with pine needles and cones, fill them with vodka. Leave to infuse for 10 days. Take 15 cap. with warm water three times a day (before meals);
- dandelion roots. They should be dried, and then enough to eat for 1 tsp. shredded roots before each meal. The improvement will be noticeable after 6 months.
What else can help protect against cholesterol plaques?
If you have atherosclerosis, you are shown light exercise: easy running, walking, and gymnastics twice a day (half an hour). Correct your diet: remove cholesterol-rich foods from it, replace them with healthy food (sea kale, spinach, eggplants, walnuts, figs, strawberries, cranberries). Every day, eat 1 grapefruit.
Atherosclerosis is far from a harmless enemy. But using the means of traditional and traditional medicine, you can beat it. Just do not wait until the cholesterol plaque overlaps the vessel and lead to dire consequences. At the first sign of pain in the legs pass the examination.