Motherwort is a perennial herb. The medicine derived from it is a well-known sedative.
- In medicine, the field of application of motherwort tincture is similar to the preparations of valerian and lily of the valley, but in its action surpasses them, especially in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases. Motherwort normalizes heart rhythm, has antispasmodic and mild diuretic action. In addition, it perfectly regulates the menstrual cycle and improves digestion.
- Preparations based on motherwort are indispensable for cardiosclerosis, increased excitability, menopause in women, insomnia, vegetative-vascular dystonia.
- Motherwort is also used in such diseases as epilepsy, dysfunction of the thyroid gland. It is prescribed for gastrointestinal disorders.
- Motherwort herb is found in most soothing teas used in nervous arousal.
- The plant is widely used in homeopathy.
- Outwardly medicinal infusion is prescribed for the speedy healing of wounds, because it has anti-inflammatory action.
Motherwort is a valuable honey plant. Especially good plant produces nectar in wet weather. With 1 flower, bees get nectar containing up to 0.6 mg of sugar. Honey productivity motherwort high 200 kg per 1 ha. Whole straw honey with good taste.
We also read: Medicinal herbs for insomnia.
When to collect motherwort?
Motherwort grows in most regions of the European part of Russia, in the Caucasus, in Siberia and Central Asia. It is usually easy to find in wastelands (hence the name) and landfills. The plant blooms on the 2nd year of life in June.
Its stem is erect and tetrahedral, pubescent with sparse hairs. Lower leaves are large, dark at the top, light at the bottom. Upper three-lobed leaves. Flowers irregular, in ring-shaped inflorescences, lilac-pink. Fruit - modular, consists of four single-seeded nuts.
Motherwort must be collected at the beginning of its flowering. They do it this way: cut off the upper part of the plant (no longer than 40 cm long) or side stalks to the last leaves.
Do not collect grass where chemical contaminants may be present. Try to find motherwort away from the potato fields (they can poison the Colorado potato beetle here).
Motherwort: useful properties
In medicine and cosmetology, both grass and motherwort leaves, as well as its rhizomes, are used.
Such substances as alkaloids, essential oils, tanning and coloring substances, vitamins A and C, glycosides, flavonoids, sugar, mineral salts and many others are recognized as the most valuable in the plant.
Motherwort grass contains several alkaloids. These are saponins, leonurin, stakhidrin - substances of plant origin, which include nitrogen. They have the ability, when combined with acids, to form salts as a result. Alkaloids are characterized by a beneficial effect on many functions of the body.-
Indications for use in motherwort set. He can be assigned to you by a therapist, a cardiologist, a gynecologist, and a homeopath.
- When neurasthenia and hysteria is often prescribed this drug.
- It is prescribed for epilepsy, hypertension of the 1st and 2nd stage, myocarditis, cardiosclerosis, angina pectoris, heart failure.
- Women motherwort discharged with menopausal syndrome and uterine bleeding. It is used for insomnia, impotence, adenoma, as well as a diuretic.
- In order to eliminate excessive nervous excitability, it is necessary to drip into 1 tbsp. water 10 drops of motherwort, valerian and hawthorn. Take this cocktail at least three times a day.
- For bloating and colic, use dried motherwort grass and add 1g of it to ready-made meals whenever problems arise.
We also read:Herbal sedatives.
Contra-motherwort is. It is not recommended to use in case of peptic ulcer of the stomach or duodenum. Also, the drug is contraindicated in erosive gastritis of the stomach.
You can not use motherwort with low blood pressure and slow heart rate, that is, with bradycardia.
Often, motherwort overdose causes side effects on the human body. On the part of the intestine, nausea and belching may occur, which pass away immediately after drug withdrawal. In case of hypersensitivity to the active substance, even symptoms of acute poisoning can be observed, in severe cases accompanied by disorders of the cardiovascular activity or the function of the central nervous system.
Motherwort enhances the action of all sleeping and heart drugs.