Over time, people not only managed to tame wild animals, but also learned how to plant plants on the windowsill, which grow in different climatic conditions. One of these plants is Momordica, the so-called Chinese pomegranate. This is not only a beautiful and original tropical plant, it also has a number of useful properties. Let's find out what kind of plant is Momordica, why is it so useful and unique?
Momordica - what kind of plant?
This plant belongs to the pumpkin family. It mainly grows in natural conditions in tropical latitudes. Most often, Indian pomegranate can be found in Asia, Africa and Australia. Despite this, Momordica can also be grown in our latitudes in your backyard. We will not go deeper into the particular cultivation of this plant, now we are interested in what useful properties it has.
Ripe fruits of Momordiki are similar to pomegranate seeds, they can be eaten raw. They have a very sweet taste and unique flavor. But the unripe fruits are best eaten in dried or dried form. In Asian countries, the fruits of Momordica are widespread in cooking as an exotic seasoning.
This plant, or rather, its fruits, leaves, rhizomes, stems, seeds, have been widely used both in folk and in traditional medicine. All thanks to the complex composition of Momordiki. The structure of this plant includes various nutritious, fortified micro and macro elements, in particular:
- B vitamins;
- vitamin C;
- a nicotinic acid;
- vitamin F;
- amino acids, including the irreplaceable type;
Useful properties of the plant
Herbalists share the beneficial and healing properties of Momordica into two separate categories. First, let's look at the beneficial properties of Indian pomegranate. These include:
- Replenishment of vitamin reserve in the body. Eating ripe berries can satisfy the daily need for folic and pantothenic acid, potassium, zinc, silicon, selenium and a number of other micro and macro elements.
- Momordica has a beneficial effect on the functioning of the pancreas, as a result of which it is possible to normalize the insulin level and, accordingly, the sugar concentration.
- The systematic use of the fruits of Indian pomegranate stops the development of malignant tumors.
- Momordica perfectly fights bacteria and viruses of various types, strengthening the immune system.
- The fruits of Indian pomegranate have a beneficial effect on visual function, their systematic use in food allows you to restore visual acuity.
- The high concentration of tocopherol in the fruits of Momordiki has a regenerating, moisturizing and nourishing effect on the skin.
- Momordica has cleansing properties, using the extract of this plant, you can remove the released radicals and toxins from the body.
- Due to the high concentration of folic acid, constant consumption of Momordiki fruits helps to improve blood circulation, normalize blood formation and cleanse the vascular walls.
Nutritionists advise eating the fruits of Momordica to people who seek to get rid of excess body weight. The fact is that this tropical product is low-calorie. Just imagine that for 100 g of berries there are only 15 Kcal. In addition, Momordica cleans the body well, which also contributes to weight loss.
Fruits, stems, leaves and root system Momordiki used to treat a number of diseases and pathologies, in particular:-
- acute respiratory diseases;
- infectious and inflammatory processes;
- skin diseases;
- diseases of the digestive tract;
- in order to reduce the level of harmful cholesterol;
- for the treatment of various pathologies of the cardiovascular system, as a therapeutic agent, including prophylactic;
- to cure arthritis;
- as an anti-inflammatory and antiseptic for insect bites;
- to eliminate allergic reactions;
- for the treatment of burn wounds.
Various parts of the plant Momordiki are used mainly in complex treatment along with pharmacological preparations. In no case do not need to engage in self-treatment, because the use of fruits or medicines, prepared on the basis of Momordiki, can lead to complicated consequences.
Contraindications to the use
It is better to refuse to eat fruits of Indian pomegranate in such cases:
- during gestation;
- during breastfeeding;
- with individual intolerance or hypersensitivity of any plant component.
Excessive use of the fruits of Momordiki can cause side effects, in particular:
- gag reflexes;
The fruits and other parts of the plant Momordiki have found their application not only in cooking and medicine, but also in cosmetology. On the basis of the fruits of Momordiki can make various masks for the skin of the face. Due to their fortified composition, our skin is saturated with beneficial elements, moisturized and comes in tone. In cooking, use dried or dried fruits of Momordiki as a seasoning.
In medicine, including traditional, various parts of the plant Momordiki are used in the form:
Until today, few of us have heard of such a plant as Momordica. In our article, you learned what useful and curative properties it possesses. In order to collect fruits or other valuable parts of this tropical plant, it is not necessary to go to Africa or to the Australian continent. You can grow Momordica in your garden or on the windowsill. Do not forget that before taking any herbal medicine should consult with a physician. Be healthy!