Probably everyone at least once faced with such an unpleasant phenomenon, as back pain, manifested during severe hypothermia or physical exertion. A sharp pain in the lumbar back can still be called lumbago. This disease is also accompanied by high tension in the muscles, because of which a person cannot straighten up or pose. The attack can last for several days, provided that there is no timely and correct treatment.
Lumbago with sciatica: what is it?
In the event that there is no adequate treatment, over time sciatica begins to develop with lumbago. This term refers to the damage or pinching of the sciatic nerve. This phenomenon may occur against the background of the presence of the pathological position of the nerve fiber, which has changed due to bias. The sciatic nerve is responsible for the innervation of the lower extremities, as well as partly for transmission to the large intestine and pelvic organs of the nerve impulse.
If lumbago and sciatica connects, a doctor’s help is required. If it is absent, there is the likelihood of serious adverse effects, which include dysfunction of the circulatory system not only of the lower extremities, but also of the large intestine, as well as the bladder, and urination is difficult.
At the initial stage of lumbago, which is not yet combined with sciatica, there is a burning or dull pulling pain in the sacral and lumbar spine.
Muscles can also be very tense at the point where the pain is concentrated. There is a difficulty even minor movements in the spine. If the attack of pain lasts for quite a long time, a gradual decrease in physiological bending in the lumbar region begins. Even with minor loads, the pain increases, and at rest it gradually subsides and soon disappears completely.
The development of signs of sciatica occurs under the condition of infringement of the nerve. Because of this, severe pain will spread to the front, side or back of the lower leg and thigh. Symptoms increase during walking. In some cases, the pain begins to give in the hip and knee, in the heel. Significantly reduced skin sensitivity. The patient himself may notice that there is not only numbness, but also goosebumps on the body, intense fever or tingling, which manifest themselves in certain areas. Cramps occur in the calf muscles.
If the sciatica proceeds over a rather long period of time, dystrophy of the nerve fiber may occur, and the development of neuropathy of the lower limb begins. As a result, there is a violation of the blood supply, begins the gradual formation of prerequisites for stagnation of venous blood, as well as an acute shortage of nutrients in the epidermis and muscle cells.
The affected limb may decrease in volume, the loss of the usual muscle strength occurs. All this leads to lameness. In the most severe cases, when there is no timely and correct treatment, the development of trophic leg ulcers begins, which are quite difficult to cure.
Also, sciatica may show the following symptoms:
- There is a feeling of general weakness and apathy, worried fatigue;
- There is a serious violation of the sexual function of the patient;
- Urination scanty, rapid, accompanied by pain (this occurs as a result of the chaotic work of the muscles of the pelvic floor);
- In the form of dyspepsia manifested violation of the natural processes of digestion;
- In the abdominal cavity pain occurs with an unclear genesis;
- Concerned about frequent and prolonged constipation, which are periodically replaced by profuse diarrhea.
Therefore, lumbago and sciatica are serious and dangerous pathologies that need immediate medical attention.-
How to treat lumbago: medications
When diagnosing this disease, treatment should come with the use of certain medication. Only a doctor can prescribe symptomatic treatment using the following remedies:
- Drugs that help reduce muscle tone;
- The use of antispasmodics;
- The use of tranquilizers, which are necessary for nervous and anxiety states;
- The use of non-narcotic analgesics, which help not only to remove strong pain, but also eliminates inflammation.
The patient will be prescribed not only oral medications, but also local preparations (ointments, creams), which include special anti-inflammatory substances that help to remove unpleasant painful sensations much faster. During lumbago treatment, injections are also attributed to the patient, since this route of administration of drugs that have an anti-inflammatory effect will be more reliable, while drugs begin to act much faster.
The applied physiotherapeutic methods are not able to provide a 100% therapeutic result, but, nevertheless, they continue to be used frequently. These methods include the following:
- Applications with paraffin and ozokerite;
- Vacuum therapy;
- Putting on a cold (most often a simple towel is applied, soaked in cold water beforehand);
- Treatment of wormwood or moxotherapy.
Along with the use of manual therapy, massage, treatment with leeches (hirudotherapy), acupuncture is also used. Most importantly, any of the listed methods of treatment should be performed only by an experienced specialist practicing in this field. All methods of therapy are aimed at removing pain as quickly as possible, improve blood circulation, eliminate inflammation, and normalize the lymphatic flow in the lumbar region. In almost all cases, a gentle massage is prescribed, the duration of each procedure is not very long, all movements of the massage therapist should be as soft as possible, they are performed without the use of force and pressure.
For the treatment of lumbago, you can use not only modern medicines, but also folk remedies (only after a doctor's permission):
- Baths. 500 g of tops of pumpkin, tomato, beet, willow and cucumber are taken. All components are thoroughly ground, after which the eggshell (20 eggs) is added to the mixture and again everything is thoroughly crushed. Then all components are shifted to the 70 l barrel and filled with boiling water (50 l). Now you need to wait until the water has cooled slightly, then the patient sits in a barrel and is in such a bath for about 20 minutes.
- Compresses. For the preparation of therapeutic compress need to take the flour, horseradish root, vinegar and salt. Several horseradish roots are washed and thoroughly crushed, then flour (equivalent to their weight), salt and vinegar are injected into them. All components are well mixed. The resulting mixture is used in the form of compresses, which are placed on the sore point and left for several hours. As soon as the compress is removed, it is necessary to calm the irritated skin a little, and for this purpose wraps prepared from cooled bran broth are used. As soon as irritation and redness are removed, the skin will acquire a normal healthy shade, you can make a re-compress.
- Decoctions. Equal amounts of plantain leaf, sweet clover grass, calendula, blueberry shoots, horsetail grass (all components should be used only in dried form). All ingredients are well ground and mixed. 2 tbsp. l raw materials are transferred to a thermos and filled with boiling water (500 g). After 12 hours, you need to filter the resulting infusion and remove all herbs from it. Take this medicinal decoction is necessary after each meal for 2 weeks. The course of treatment continues after the pain passes. The basis of the therapeutic effect of this drug is a strong diuretic effect, as well as the removal of edema and the fight against the onset of inflammatory processes.
- Infusions. In equal proportions it is necessary to take hop cones, lingonberry leaf, mint herb, angelica root, chamomile flowers, nettle herb. All components are thoroughly ground and mixed. 2 tbsp. l obtained medicinal collection should be put in a thermos and pour boiling water (500 g), leave to infuse until the morning. In the morning, ready-made infusion must be filtered and taken on an empty stomach in the morning, as well as before lunch, 0.5 st. The course of treatment continues until the attacks of pain disappear.
See also:Inflammation of the sciatic nerve
Lumbago is a complex disease that requires timely and competent treatment, especially when it is accompanied by sciatica. Therapy includes both medical treatment and alternative methods, and traditional medicine. The only rule: the doctor should prescribe all procedures and drugs after a thorough examination and diagnosis!