Ophthalmic Levomycetin Drops, by virtue of their composition, are an antibacterial agent that affects protein synthesis in pathogenic microorganisms. Auxiliary substances are boric acid and water, present in most solutions, including ophthalmic, and most importantly belong to the category of strong antibiotics, which causes controversy around the drug.
Levomycetin eye drops: characteristics of the drug
- The active substance, chloramphenicol, is included in the group of antibiotics that suppress the action of gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, and, remarkably, affects those microorganisms that are sensitive to tetracycline, penicillin and sulfanilamide. The addiction to this antibiotic is slow, so that it can be included in a long therapeutic course. The proportion of substances per 1 ml of solution is 25 mg.
Despite external use, chloramphenicol has the ability to partially penetrate the blood, as a result of which there are a number of precautions for the use of eye drops. With particular activity, side effects are manifested in individuals who use drugs that inhibit blood flow, affecting the number of leukocytes.
- The penetration of the substance into the crystal of the eye is not fixed: the concentration increases only in the cornea and iris, as well as in the vitreous body.
Indications for the use of Levomycetin eye drops are any bacterial lesions of the mucosa, in particular:
In addition, they can be used for the treatment of rhinitis - eye drops are permissible for use in the nasal passages.
At the same time, doctors are focusing patients on the fact that Levomycetin drops can be absolutely not effective if they are used to restore the eyes after surgery, because they do not have similar properties. Their direct task is to disinfect and destroy pathogenic bacteria.
Instructions for use
The algorithm of use of the drug for the treatment of infectious eye diseases is as follows:
- In the lacrimal canal injected 1-2 drops in each eye, after which the eyelids should be lowered and allow the drug to be evenly distributed on the sclera. Within 3-5 min It is advisable to keep your eyes closed.
- The procedure is repeated every 4 hours in the first days. The frequency of instillation of the drug - up to 5 times per day for the acute period, and 1-2 times per day - with a preventive purpose or on the way to recovery. The total duration of the course is 14 days.
If you wear contact lenses, you must remove them before using Levomitsitinov drops, and after the instillation of the drug worn no earlier than an hour.
A less common use of the solution recommended by some doctors is to eliminate the common cold, as well as to prevent complications after ARVI and ARI.
- Ocular Levomycetin drops should be instilled 2-3 times a day in each nasal passage, in the same amount - 1-2 drops. The duration of treatment should not exceed 5 days, and, the main symptoms of a cold are often eliminated after 48 hours.
Negative reactions of the body to Levomycetin drops are not fixed, except for the manifestation of allergies in the form of skin rashes and itching. Perhaps an increase in eye sensitivity.-
- In case of overdose, there may be temporary visual impairment: recovery occurs after discontinuation of the drug itself, it is allowed to wash the eyes with running water to accelerate this process.
Is it possible to use these drops for children?
The greatest controversy surrounding this drug was earned by the topic of its use in young children: despite the fact that the instruction restricts use only in newborns to 4 months, some doctors and young parents show excessive caution, relying on the composition of the drug.
The main reason for which not everyone thinks it reasonable to include Levomycetin drops in child therapy is the presence of an antibiotic in their composition, but its concentration here is to the extent that the drug can be used even in newborns, but under the supervision of a physician. Children from 2 years old drops are allowed without any restrictions, only with an eye on the sensitivity of the organism. This is confirmed by the reviews of young mothers.
- Anna: "Kapala's daughter (3 years) Levomitsitin - they refused him immediately because the girl began to complain of a burning sensation in her eyes. They wrote it off for an individual reaction, because the niece did not have such sensations and replaced them with" Tobreks ".
- Irina: “My daughter had no side effects (1 year and 8 months), but we didn’t see the result of conjunctivitis treatment: our eyes, as water was watering, kept tearing. As a result, after long discussions with the doctor, they replaced them . a drug".
Some women mistakenly assume that Levomycetin Drops are available separately for children and adults. This contributes to the difference in the concentration of the active substance, as indicated on the bottles presented in pharmacies. Doctors clarify this point:
- "Levomitsitinovye drops are divided into those that are introduced into the eye canals, and those that are aimed at instillation into the ear canals. The separation of the drug into children and adults does not exist: for newborns use the same solution as for children from 12 years, but lower dosage. "
As for the algorithm of using Levomitsitinov drops in children, the proportion of the solution is calculated by the weight of the child and the degree of its sensitivity.
- Newborns - up to 6 mg per 1 kg of weight;
- Infants from 2 weeks up to 12.5 mg per 1 kg of weight;
- Children from 2 years old - 1-2 drops one-time.
The opened bottle is allowed to be used within 30 days. In the process of use, it is important to follow its sterility: it is impossible to touch the nose with hands (even after they have been cleaned with antibacterial agents), and it is also unacceptable to lean the nose against the surface of the eyeball.