We used to think that children just can't smell bad. These angelic creatures are called to bring only joy and fragrance as an unearthly flower. However, it is found that the smell from the child’s mouth is not at all sweet. The reason for the stench may be insufficient oral hygiene. But sometimes this phenomenon warns of a more serious problem.
When does stale breath talk about a problem?
The specific smell from the mouth in babies can occur for various reasons, and most often they can be easily eliminated by ordinary teeth cleaning or other preventive measures. In order not to get confused in a variety of factors, we will not just list them, but divide them into separate groups.
Perhaps, to begin with, the smell is of two types - pathological and physiological origin. Both those and other flavors may arise due to such reasons as:
- Eating aromatic additives and other foods with a characteristic persistent odor, such as broccoli, onions, or garlic.
- A long time without food can also lead to stench.
- Excessive consumption of fatty, fried and dairy products can lead to acid reflux. In this case, the child will smell acetone from the mouth.
- Insufficient or improper oral hygiene.
- Sleep also leads to an unpleasant odor due to the proliferation of bacteria and lack of saliva.
- Severe excitability, shock or stress, fright and anxiety contribute to the fact that the child smells bad from the mouth.
From a medical point of view, all causes fall into two categories depending on the source of the smell and are more pathological in nature - intraoral and extraoral.
This category includes those smells, the cause of which lies directly in the mouth of the baby. Why a child smells badly from the mouth can be found out by eliminating the following factors:
- dysbacteriosis of the oral mucosa;
- insufficient salivation;
- periodontal disease of periodontal pockets;
- oral pathological lesions.
Similar pathologies occur in almost 90% of babies, and their treatment is dealt with by a dentist. During professional oral hygiene, the doctor will conduct a series of therapeutic measures to eliminate the disease, which contributes to the appearance of a specific odor.
After that, parents and small patients should note the following rules of preventive measures:-
- Brush your teeth after every meal. Parents must ensure that the entire process lasts no less than 3 minutes, with the correct technique.
- Thorough cleaning of the front of the tongue should be done with a special device or a soft toothbrush.
- Children from 8 years old must learn to use dental floss at least once a day, preferably in the evening.
Possible diseases or extraoral causes
In principle, to identify exactly where the smell comes from is quite simple. So, the extraoral "aroma" can be felt even when the child breathes through his nose. Among the common problems, it is worth emphasizing those that are most typical for children:
- Chronic tonsillitis caused by beta-hemolytic group of resistant to therapy. In cases where the pathogen can not be eliminated with the help of drugs, resort to surgery.
- When it smells bad from the mouth and at the same time the child has a sore throat, then the most likely cause is an airborne infection.
- The stale breath from the children's oral cavity can be caused by various parasites in the faeces, while the treatment is primarily aimed at eliminating the root cause.
- An unpleasant smell can actually be a side effect of the accumulation of mucus in the throat as a result of chronic sinusitis.
- If a child smells of rot from his mouth, then the cause should be sought in a metabolic disorder. This happens when the body burned all the accumulation of sugar in the body and began to process the subcutaneous fat. In addition, you can observe other symptoms: abdominal pain, malaise, fever and lethargy.
In addition to all of the above reasons, bad smell from children’s mouth may be due to medication. Some pills, pills, and drops release chemicals into the body that alter the freshness of the breath.
How to eliminate bad breath in babies?
Despite the many seemingly very terrible reasons for the appearance of unpleasant breathing, most pathological changes occur in only 2-5% of children. This fact is known pediatricians pediatricians.
Thus, the beloved doctor Komarovsky asserts that it often smells badly from a child’s mouth as a result of excessive accumulation of bacteria on teeth, tongue and gums. To eliminate the cause for excitement, the doctor suggests in the following ways:
- To exercise control over the humidity in the children's room. In too hot a room, a child’s saliva dries up in the mouth, and because of its lack, bacteria begin to accumulate, so get special devices to humidify the air. The ideal ratio is about 70-80 percent.
- Make sure your child brushes his teeth and tongue twice a day, and the whole process takes at least 3 minutes. Parents should also teach their children to brush their teeth properly.
- After eating, leftover food can be removed without the help of a toothbrush: offer solid fruit such as an apple or a slice of mango to your child.
- Keep your child drinking enough water throughout the day, especially if he is restless.
As you can see, to eliminate the stale smell from the mouth is a snap. To hygiene, parents should teach their children from early childhood, so that such preventive measures have become a habit. But if you still doubt the origin of the unpleasant smell, consult your pediatrician for advice.