Neuralgia is not one of those diseases that behave quietly. It will cause you a lot of suffering, so be sure! A sharp pain will deprive you of sleep and rest, whether you want it or not, you go to the doctor. How does intercostal neuralgia manifest? The symptoms and treatment of this insidious disease are best known in advance so that sudden pain does not cause you a nervous shock.
Master of disguise
If we describe torkalgia (or intercostal neuralgia) in two words, this is a pathology in which the intercostal nerves are irritated or compressed. The disease is quite common; most often it is recorded in persons whose age has passed for 50. But if a person is over 35, then he, too, has a chance to face this ailment. But it almost never occurs in children and adolescents.
Even the doctors themselves consider this disease to be one of the most cunning, since it is very difficult to distinguish intercostal neuralgia from other serious diseases. Symptoms can be regarded incorrectly, and treatment, accordingly, will be appointed incorrectly, which is fraught with dangerous consequences for the patient.
What are the diseases masked torkalgiya? Its main feature is severe pain that can be felt in the heart. Therefore, the first suspect is always a heart attack. Often, neuralgia is confused with colic or respiratory diseases.
Neuralgia itself is not a dangerous condition, the prognosis (if the diagnosis is made correctly and the treatment is started in time) is always favorable. The disease is completely cured and can never again bother a person.
Where to wait for the problem?
Neuralgia rarely occurs "out of nothing", it is usually provoked by other diseases and pathological conditions. These include:
- diseases and injuries of the spine (osteochondrosis, radicular syndrome, intervertebral hernia, violation of posture);
- benign or cancerous tumors;
- weakened immunity;
- multiple sclerosis;
- infections (influenza, tuberculosis, herpes zoster);
- lack of vitamin B and calcium;
- depression, stress.
There are several provoking factors that contribute to the development of torcalgia. It:
- persistent or intermittent hypothermia;
- excessive increase in muscle mass;
- increased physical exertion;
- taking certain medications;
Thus, in any pathology on the part of the ODE, intercostal neuralgia may occur at any time.
How and where does it hurt?
The pain can be felt in the spaces between the ribs, in the lower back, in the scapular region or on one side of the chest. Symptoms are very pronounced:
- stitching, aching, worse at night;
- numbness of the upper limbs and the affected area;
- cold, warmth, movement, breathing - all this leads to increased pain syndrome;
- hypertonicity of one or several muscles;
- increased sweating;
- blanching of the skin;
- weakness, loss of appetite.
Somewhat less common are manifestations of neuralgia, such as an increase in temperature (up to a maximum of 37.5), nausea, vomiting. At the same time, pressure and heart rate remain within the normal range (violation of these indicators may be caused by the experiences of the patient who is afraid that he has a heart attack).
Neuralgia right and left: is there a difference in sensations?
Consider the symptoms of intercostal neuralgia on the left (the treatment does not depend on the localization of the pathological process). They are practically the same, the only difference is in which side the pain is located. But, since it is from this side that our main “motor” is located, once again we list the distinctive signs of neuralgia:-
- piercing pain to the left. It is so sharp that it resembles an electric shock, which is why it is often regarded as a heart attack. With the slightest attempts at movement, and even with inhalation and exhalation, it increases (which is not typical of the pathologies of the heart);
- heaviness and pressure in the chest;
- the duration of the attack is a few minutes, after which the pain goes away. After a while, everything repeats again;
- loss of sensation on the left;
- spasm can not be removed nitroglycerin.
It is equally important to know the symptoms of intercostal neuralgia on the right so that the treatment methods are correct. Here is what the patient feels:
- dagger pain on the right side, which can give up and down;
- burning and tingling;
- when turning the body, coughing, sneezing, the desire to move the body responds with sharp pain;
- numbness on the right side of the chest.
Errors should not be: diagnostics
If all signs of torkalgiya are there, then the doctor can make a diagnosis based on complaints, examination and palpation (in the affected place, with pain, pain instantly makes itself felt). But this is rare, so the patient is sent for examination. To get full confidence that this is neuralgia, and not angina or other hidden ailment, you will have to perform the following diagnosis:
- clinical blood analysis and bacteriological. In the presence of an inflammatory process in the area of nerve endings, the rate of leukocytes will be exceeded. If neuralgia is provoked by infection, it will be seen from the results of baccalysis;
- X-ray of the chest and vertebral trunk. The picture will clearly show the pathological changes in the structure of the bones;
- MRI is the most reliable way to diagnose torklgy. Such a survey will detect abnormalities in the structure of cartilage and bones, pinching, inflammation in the nerve tissues;
- electroneurography (for suspected nerve injury);
- CT of the spine (to detect hernias and neoplasms);
- urinalysis (if pain is localized in the lumbar region);
- Ultrasound and ECG of the heart (to ensure that there are no pathologies on the part of this organ).
What medications can cure neuralgia?
Intercostal neuralgia, its symptoms and treatment (medication) are within the competence of the neurologist. The first thing that starts the therapy is pain relief. At this stage, the drugs Tempalgin and Sedalgin can be prescribed (up to 4 times per day). If with their help it is not possible to defeat a painful symptom, then they perform a Novocain blockade. The patient should observe the sparing mode. Be sure to eliminate stress, alcohol and exercise.
When the pain is released, the struggle will begin directly against neuralgia. Usually appointed such a complex of drugs:
- NSAIDs - Aertal, Diclofenac, Celebrex, Meloxicam, Movalis, Ibuprofen;
- muscle relaxants whose task is to eliminate muscle spasm (Baklosan, Mydocalm, Sirdalud);
- sedatives (Deprim, Helarium);
- neuroprotectors - B-complex of vitamins, thioctic acid;
- venotonic and diuretic (Hypothiazide, Lasix) are used to eliminate tissue edema;
- drugs that improve blood circulation - Apizatron.
The treatment regimen also includes the use of massage procedures and manual exposure. A good effect is provided by physiotherapeutic methods of treatment (ultraviolet irradiation, electrophoresis), laser therapy, mud therapy. At the end of all these activities, physiotherapy exercises are shown.
In particularly difficult cases, surgical treatment is resorted to to eliminate the formations that compress the roots and cause pain.
Home treatment: the most effective folk recipes
Herbal treatment can only be considered as an additional measure designed to speed recovery and rehabilitation. It will never replace drugs and medical procedures.
Even if you have thoroughly studied what is intercostal neuralgia, what are its symptoms, treatment at home can be started only after the doctor makes a diagnosis and gives permission to use alternative methods.
If tacalgia is detected, then such recipes can provide good support for the medication effect:
- healing composition of willow bark. Grind this raw material, take 15 g, pour 250 ml of boiling water. Boil the mixture on low heat for 20 minutes. Cool, filter. Drink 4 p. 20 ml per day;
- analgesic compress from geranium petals. It will take a little petals of this plant. They should be laid out on a piece of linen fabric. Attach this compress to the sore side, pin and wrap a warm shawl (scarf). The pain will go away in a couple of hours. Such applications can be done up to 3 p. in a day. Instead of geranium, you can take the leaves of horseradish;
- boil an egg (hard boiled). Hot roll it in a sore spot;
- rubbing of black radish juice. Enough 1 root. Squeeze the juice, slightly heat, rub into the affected area, wrap with a woolen scarf;
- natural anesthetic made from thyme. 10 g of this vegetable component pour 100 ml of alcohol. Put in a dark place for a day, strain, drink 3 p. 15 caps a day;
- chamomile decoction. To cook it, take 4 tbsp. l dried flowers. They are poured 300 ml of boiling water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, cool. To use this anti-inflammatory composition should be on half a glass three times a day;
- therapeutic bath with sage. 200 g of grass poured into 2 liters of boiling water. Insist hour. Then poured into the bath. Duration of stay in her patient should not exceed 15 minutes.
Intercostal neuralgia is a disease that should not be taken lightly. If the treatment is carried out illiterately, then the pain in the sternum can become a constant companion. All this will eventually lead to oxygen starvation of nerve tissue. Significantly reduce the amount of movement of the trunk and elbow. And the most serious complication of torkalgii is respiratory arrest. Therefore, do not swallow analgesics, and treated correctly.