Immediately after being born and throughout life, a person undergoes a procedure for testing. This method of diagnosis is considered the fastest and most effective. Both adults and children are tested for urine, blood and feces. All of these substances contain white blood cells - microorganisms that are produced by the bone marrow. They perform an important protective function, especially in the children's body. Of course, many parents worry when they hear that a child has leukocytes in their urine.
In this article, we will look at why leukocytes appear in children's urine and what diseases this may indicate.
The role of leukocytes in the children's body
As already mentioned, leukocytes have a protective function. In the presence of inflammatory processes or the development of a serious pathology, an excessive concentration of white blood cells can be detected in the urine. These blood cells are necessary for the normal functioning of the immune system and the fight against pathogens and bacteria.
Moreover, leukocytes protect the children's organism not only from internal pathogens, but also from pathogenic external agents.
The amount of white blood cells in the urine can determine the state of the protective forces of the child's body.
How to pass a urine test for white blood cell count?
Parents should be aware that failure to follow the rules of the analysis can provide an inaccurate picture. When exposed to high temperature (for example, when taking a hot bath) or as a result of performing physical exercises on the eve of taking comparative samples, the level of white blood cells rises sharply, which can enter the attending specialist astray.
Every mother should know that the urine analysis of the child should be taken according to certain rules:
- The child should be thoroughly cleaned without the use of hygiene products.
- Urine can be done using a special receiver, for this it needs to be fixed around the genital external organs and wait for urination.
- The child can be put on a diaper or a special oilcloth and wait for urination. In the process of collecting urine you need to use a special jar.
- To stimulate urination, young children under the age of 1 year can be massaged (perform stroking movements along the spine line), and older ones can turn on the water, as a rule, its noise affects urination.
- If you took all the urine for analysis, then the attending specialist should be warned about this.
- Analyzes must be taken in a special laboratory.
What is the rate of white blood cells in the urine of a child?
After testing, all parents are eagerly awaiting results and are very worried. The content of leukocytes in the children's urine is determined by examining the material under a microscope. Their number is indicated on the basis of the studied (visible) part of the urine.
Normally, tests should show the following white blood cell count:
- in the girl's urine - no more than 10 units;
- in the boy's urine - no more than 7 units.
Normal indicators are also considered to bring the level of leukocytes in children's urine to zero. In case of exceeding the norm, there are suspicions about the development of inflammatory or infectious processes in the children's body, and the child needs to undergo a full-scale examination.
What are the evidence of increased white blood cells?
If the amount of leukocytes in the urine of a child is increased, this may indicate the development of various inflammatory and infectious diseases. These include:-
- pyelonephritis is an infectious disease of the kidneys, and in children the inflammatory process begins to occur in the bladder;
- inflammation of the mucous membranes of the genital organs;
- cystitis (most often girls are susceptible to this disease);
- infectious diseases of the urinary system;
- the presence of stones (as a rule, children may appear in the kidneys or bladder);
- manifestations of an allergic reaction;
- non-compliance with the rules of hygiene;
The main symptoms that indicate an increased concentration of leukocytes in the children's urine
Medical practice is known for thousands of cases of leukocyturia, that is, increasing the number of leukocytes in the children's urine. Many parents are wondering how to recognize this condition and when to use the help of the attending specialist.
If a child has a lot of white blood cells in the urine, then this may be accompanied by the following symptoms:
- difficulty urinating (the child may experience cramps, pain);
- frequent urge to urinate;
- uncharacteristic dark color;
- the presence of precipitation or impurities in the urine;
- urine turbidity;
- unpleasant (sometimes harsh) smell;
- possible temperature rise;
- periodic chill sensation.
Babies can not tell you about these symptoms, but some of the above phenomena parents can quite notice themselves, for example, uncharacteristic color and smell. In this case, the urine should immediately be taken for analysis to a medical institution.
How to cure leukocyturia in a child?
The treatment course is appointed exclusively by a specialist only after a full-scale examination of the child and the identification of the reasons for the increased level of leukocytes in the children's urine. As a rule, doctors prescribe antibiotic pharmacological drugs. After several days of admission, the child must re-take the analysis.
It is highly undesirable to give antibiotics to infants. In this case, the attending specialists are looking for alternative ways of treatment and suggest that parents give the child anti-inflammatory drugs and use traditional medicine.
It is extremely rare to find cases when an increase in leukocytes in children's urine is directly connected with the congenital pathology of the urinary system — urine stagnation in the canals. This disease is almost asymptomatic, and it can be detected only after an ultrasound diagnosis. When confirming the diagnosis, the doctor prescribes a comprehensive treatment.
Leukocytes play a very important role in both children and adults. If you experience the slightest symptoms, you should certainly pass a urine test. Remember: the faster doctors diagnose the presence of a pathology or the development of a disease, the sooner treatment will begin and recovery will occur.