In the people it is also called odorous issop, or bee grass. This plant with a very proud name simply has no equal in the treatment of respiratory diseases, coughs, colds, bronchitis. It will also save asthma, chronic gastrointestinal diseases and anemia. Here it is so indispensable.
Hyssopus officinalis - a perennial plant, subshrub, reaching a height of 80 cm. The stem of the hyssop is erect, with small hairs growing all over its surface. The leaves have an elongated shape and solid edges, grow on short petioles. The flowers of this plant are small, pink, purple or white, they form oblong spicate inflorescences, growing on 5-7 flowers in the axils of the leaves.
Three different forms of hyssop medicinal differ not only in the color of flowers, but also in the content of the essential oil in the plant. The highest content of essential oils boasts a hyssop with white flowers, in the second place a plant with lilac (by the way, this is the most common form of hyssop), and the least essential oils contain a hyssop with pink flowers. Essential oil in the grass of hyssop on average 1%, it consists of more than 50 compounds, which leads to its versatile action. Hyssop officinalis exudes a pleasant, slightly spicy scent. Flowering plant from July to September.
Where to looking for?
The homeland of the hyssop medicinal is the Mediterranean, but it has long been actively grown in the gardens of Russia. Hyssop grows well in sunny places with light, permeable soils. You can easily grow it in your summer cottage! It responds well to the introduction of lime into the soil, or at least an egg-shell. Like all perennials hyssop requires careful preparation of the soil, especially the removal of all the rhizomes of perennial weeds. Sowing is best done in spring in April, May in a cold greenhouse or temporary bed, then next year in spring or early summer to plant seedlings in a permanent place with a distance of 50-70 cm between rows and 30-40 between bushes in a row.
When breeding hyssop seedlings first pruning spend the next year, when sowing to a permanent place - already on the first, but in this case, much more power you spend on weed control in between rows, while on the nursery hyssop can be sown with an interval of 20 cm between rows .
Hyssop can also be propagated by dividing 3-5 summer bushes. To do this in the spring, you need to pile up the bushes, and after appearing roots on the shoots, plant new plants in early August to new places.
The hyssop is an excellent ornamental plant, therefore do not occupy it a bed, and use evergreen bushes as a border for a bed. Sometimes it reaches the maximum height (80 cm) in Central Russia sometimes only by July-August, since every year all the shoots that are above the snow cover freeze slightly. Hyssop is often 25-50 cm tall. Mass flowering begins in the second year.-
Features of the collection
As a medicinal raw material, only flowering grass of hyssop can be used, and the upper parts of the shoots should be cut, since they are more delicate. After they need to bundle into bundles and hang to dry in any regularly ventilated place.
Contraindications: idiosyncrasy, pregnancy, hypertension, anxiety.
In very rare cases, excessive use of hyssop can cause side effects - palpitations, a sharp drop in pressure, and even convulsions. Strictly observe the prescribed dosages of hyssop preparations.
- For treatment of bronchitis and asthma: drink three cups a day of infusion of hyssop herb. Pour 1 cup boiling water 2 teaspoons of dried flowers of hyssop and leave for 10 minutes.
- For the treatment of injuries, scars and hematomas, apply to the damaged areas of the body preparations with essential oil of hyssop 3 times a day.
- Universal medicine: 10 g of inflorescences, leaves or their mixture, pour 200 ml of boiling water, hold the mixture for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath, then cool for 45 minutes, strain. Drink an infusion of 1/3 cup each time after a meal to improve the activity of the gastrointestinal tract. This infusion can also provide emergency assistance for hangover, 15-20 minutes after taking this infusion, your head will stop hurting and your hands will tremble, you will completely come and the norm. The same effect will have on you fresh juice of hyssop officinalis - 30-40 drops per tongue.
- Herbal tea from the hyssop medicinal: 2 teaspoons of chopped herbs, pour 1/4 l of cold water, bring to a boil and leave to infuse for 5 minutes. After straining the tea is ready to drink. Dosage: 2 cups per day.
- Infusion of asphyxiation: Pour a handful of boiling water in a thermos in a thermos of a handful of chopped herb of hyssop, close with a lid, but not immediately, but after 5-6 minutes. Let stand for an hour, strain and pour back into a thermos. Drink the infusion hot 1 glass twenty minutes before meals for 20 days.
- Infusion from excessive sweating: 1 teaspoon of chopped herb hyssop with flowers, pour 1 cup boiling water, let it brew for 2 hours. After you strain the infusion, it will be ready to eat. Take it 0.5 cups 3-4 times daily before meals. Infusion will also help with anemia and chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Infusion from shortness of breath: 2 pinches of chopped hyssop herb pour 3 cups of boiling water. Leave to infuse for 15 minutes, then strain and cool. Take 0.5 glass for 15-20 minutes before each meal. Infusion will help with chronic colds, shortness of breath in the elderly, from the cold, as a good expectorant. Infusion of this, you can also rinse the mouth and throat during inflammatory processes and hoarseness.
See also: What is hyssop useful for?
To help cooks
Hyssop is also widely known as seasoning, it has a pleasant aroma and taste, in addition, it has a positive effect on digestion. It is especially good as a seasoning for roast veal, which often lacks spicy astringency. But it is also well suited for spices spices for beans, broths and soups, as well as fresh vegetable salads. Cottage cheese and melted cheese hyssop can also give a pleasant piquancy.