Childhood illnesses bring many experiences to parents. The younger the child, the more closely the mother observes his condition, fearing to miss the onset of disturbing symptoms. And if the baby becomes restless, eats badly, and on the tongue, gums, the sky has a white patina, then perhaps he has a thrush.
Many women are familiar with this disease firsthand, but because a mother can imagine what discomfort her child is experiencing. Thrush in newborns in the mouth does not require complex treatment, but before you start it, you should consult with a pediatrician.
Happy parents bring an elegant bundle from the maternity hospital, which, with proper care, will soon become an independent person. The baby sleeps and eats, the parents are happy, looking at the rounded cheek of the child. But then one day the newborn refuses from milk, cries, is capricious, spits out the nipple. The reason for this behavior is easy to understand, if you look in the mouth.
An unattractive picture - a whitish patina on the cheeks, tongue, gums indicates that the child has developed candidal stomatitis, which, for resemblance to the remnants of milk food in the mouth, is called the capacious word "thrush".
This disease is caused by the pathological growth of the yeast fungi of the genus Candida. You should not look for the guilty, even if with such a "gift" the newborn came from the hospital. Fungi of the genus Candida can live in the mother's body, on the mucous membranes and in the digestive tract, not showing up for the time being. But when conditions are favorable for the growth and reproduction of fungi, they actively fill the surface of the mucous membrane. In infants, most often thrush occurs in the mouth. The light form is manifested in the form of individual points and small specks, white bloom on the tongue, which is easily removed mechanically. With more complex forms of plaque removed with difficulty.
Breastmilk or milk formulas have absolutely nothing to do with the spread of infection, contrary to the name: infection occurs in a different way. As a rule, mother becomes the source of the disease. About a third of women are carriers of the candida fungus, which is activated during pregnancy in the vagina. If the treatment was not carried out or did not produce results (the choice of medicines suitable for treating pregnant women is not very large), and before the birth the vagina was not reorganized, the child, passing through the birth canal, will become infected with thrush. In addition, the baby can catch the infection if the mother licks the nipple, pacifier, spoon before giving it to the baby. From the maternity hospital, thrush can be brought by using a bottle of food, it can be given by personnel through tools, in contact with hands. It provokes the development of infection of overly dry indoor air, overheating of the child.
There are situations in which the baby at a very tender age, literally immediately after birth, antibiotics are prescribed. Their reception violates the microflora of the already immature intestine, causes vitamin deficiency and promotes the spread of pathological microflora. An additional risk factor is microtrauma in the oral cavity.
Signs of thrush
- Signs of thrush can be observed in the infant within a few days after birth. White plaque appears in the oral cavity, individual dots and small specks gradually merge into one. The raid is easily cleaned mechanically - with a bandage or a cotton swab, but it causes discomfort to the baby. He becomes restless, eats badly, spits up, is naughty.
- In advanced cases, Candida fungi affect the skin and mucous membranes of the organs, and the gastrointestinal tract is affected. As a result, diaper dermatitis develops - diaper rash forms in the inguinal region, and bubbles filled with fluid are formed. After the bubbles burst, they turn into sores, diaper rash causing pain.
- Candidiasis is quite capable of passing into chronic allergies, developing into dermatosis or eczema, therefore, it should be treated as soon as the first signs are detected. In addition, if the baby is breastfed, then because of the thrush in the mouth, he incorrectly takes the breast, injuring the nipple and the area around it. Cracks are an excellent breeding ground for Candida mushrooms. In this case, the mother's nipples also need to be processed.
Treatment of thrush: advice of Dr. Komarovsky
Doctors Komarovsky consider many young mothers to be their gurus, and even experienced parents listen to his sound and quite feasible recommendations. So what does Dr. Komarovsky say about the treatment of thrush in newborns in the mouth?
He considers the cause of the development of thrush to be the loss by saliva of the natural protective functions that prevent the growth of pathological microflora. This can occur for several reasons:
- Too dry and warm air in the room;
- Rare walks in the fresh air;
- Long long cry;
- Obstructed nasal breathing
For children of the first year of life who are breastfed, whitish plaque on the tongue is considered the norm, but if they spread to the cheeks, then it is time to take action. Measures are to combat the drying of the oral cavity:-
- Many walk, breathe fresh air;
- Air and moisten the room;
- Do not bundle or overheat the child;
- After feeding, give the baby 1-2 tsp. boiled water;
- Thrush is treated with a 2% solution of baking soda
How to beat thrush?
The treatment of thrush in newborns in the mouth with soda is very common and quite effective.
In order to prepare a soda solution, it is necessary to dissolve 2 g of baking soda in 100 g of warm boiled water. Mom pulls on a finger a piece of gauze, a soft bandage or a handkerchief, wets a finger in soda solution and gently treats the baby’s mouth, removing white bloom. Hands before the "operation" should be washed with an antiseptic solution or wipe with antibacterial wipes. After graduation too.
Traditionally, pediatricians recommend the use of antifungal drugs - nystatin, diflucan, candid. The dosage and frequency of use prescribed by the doctor.
Good results are obtained with the use of the vitamin preparation Biovital-gel.
Representatives of older generations from their own experience may suggest that a young mother should treat a baby’s mouth with a 5% borax solution. However, pediatrics has banned its use due to its high toxicity.
Simultaneously with the child, the mother also undergoes treatment in order to exclude the possibility of secondary infection.
Traditional medicine in the fight against thrush
If white plaque is found in the mouth and it is reliably established that it is thrush, than traditional medicine will advise on treatment. It should be noted that many methods cause concern, because they can provoke allergies, but which way parents decide themselves.
- Calendula flowers (1:10) pour 1 tbsp. boiling water and insist for an hour in a thermos. Strain and lubricate the mouth of the child;
- Lubricate the child's mouth with carrot fresh juice;
- When thrush affected areas smeared with honey. It contains vitamins, and it promotes the healing of the wound surface;
- A solution of potassium permanganate is also used to treat the mouth against milky plaque;
- Dry branches of Hypericum brewed on fire for 15 minutes, after which the solution is filtered and the mouth is processed.
Prevention of thrush in babies
In order to prevent the pathological growth of fungi that cause thrush, a pregnant woman should carefully monitor her health, treat thrush, if any, before giving birth.
- Breastfeeding, attachment to the breast allows the intestines of the child to be populated with healthy microflora;
- If a newborn baby is bottle-fed, pacifiers, nipples, bottles must be thoroughly sterilized before feeding;
- Enhance and strengthen the immune functions of the body: frequent walks, comfortable air temperature in the room, frequent airing, clothing according to the season;
- At risk are children who must be under close supervision of a pediatrician:
- children whose mothers suffer from chronic candidiasis, accompanied by an inflammatory infection;
- premature, physiologically immature children with malformations, serious diseases;
- children with disorders of the central nervous system, birth injuries
Such children are assigned to research in the first week of life and, if necessary, antibacterial drugs are prescribed.
Thrush occurs in infants and older children quite often. Do not be afraid and panic, you should consult with a pediatrician and begin treatment as soon as possible. Treatment of the oral cavity must necessarily be accompanied by a set of measures to strengthen the immunity and create comfortable living conditions for the little man. Launched form of thrush can develop into dermatitis, allergies, which will be much more difficult to cure.