Hawthorn was known to people as a medicinal plant thousands of years ago. The first mention of it dates from the 14th century BC. Several centuries later, the famous Roman doctor Dioscorides, one of the founders of botany and pharmaceuticals, recommended the fruits of this plant for diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, disorders of the kidneys and urolithiasis, obesity, bleeding, etc.
Today in nature there are more than 1,500 species of hawthorn. In North America, almost 4/5 of all species of this plant grow, and the rest grows throughout the world, including in Russia. All types of hawthorn have some similarities, but the differences are still noticeable. They can grow as small bushes, and reach a height of 10 and 15 m. The spines on the stem are present in almost all plant varieties. Flowering begins in May and June. The spectacle is very beautiful - the bush blooms with white fragrant flowers, which are collected in inflorescences. Fruits are small, spherical, 1 cm in diameter, orange and red in color. Ripen most often in August - September.
For medicinal purposes, not only fruits are used, but also the bark and flowers of the plant, they contain many biologically active substances. Hawthorn can be consumed for a long time - it is not toxic, but there are also contraindications to its use, although they are more of an advisory nature. This is the presence of certain nervous and cardiovascular diseases, metabolic disorders. In any case, before you start taking hawthorn, you should consult with your doctor. The main thing - to comply with the correct dosage, then this plant will benefit the body. It will strengthen the capillaries, reduce the amount of cholesterol, have a mild diuretic effect, improve blood circulation, relieve spasms and expand blood vessels.
The benefits of hawthorn
Due to its composition, many plant species have such actions as the normalization of the nervous system and heart. They strengthen the stomach, tone the body. In Hawthorn contains substances that are rarely part of other plants, for example - ursolic acid. It has anti-inflammatory, mild diuretic, antimicrobial, antitumor, pacemaker, hepatoprotective, vasodilator, and other healing properties. This acid stimulates the regeneration of the skin and restores collagen. Etc. components also have healing properties - because of this, hawthorn-based products are used in the treatment of various diseases.
The caloric content of this plant is not large, but higher than in other plants - approximately 52 kcal per 100 g of product. The fruit contains flavonoids, saponins, vitamins C and B, fructose, pectin, starch, carotene, ascorbic and other organic acids. The juice from the fruits of this plant is often included in the composition of cardiac drugs, because it improves the functioning of the muscles of the heart. Also, this product is used for heart failure, atherosclerosis, cardiac arrhythmias, angina and tachycardia. Hawthorn is able to alleviate the patient's condition, even if he has a severe headache with cervical osteochondrosis, because it has the ability to improve cerebral circulation. More fruits relieve mental and physical fatigue.
Hawthorn increases or decreases pressure?
There are many debates about the effect of hawthorn on blood pressure. There is an opinion that the fruits of this shrub affect the patient's body in different ways, lowering or increasing the pressure. It all depends on the individual characteristics. But actually this plant normalizes blood pressure. Its use will be effective in both hypertension and hypotension.-
Overdose with hawthorn preparations can cause indigestion, nausea, chills, depression of the nervous system, dizziness and slow pulse. Therefore, it is dangerous for health to neglect the advice of a doctor before taking hawthorn-based products!
How to make hawthorn?
The plant has great benefits and valuable beneficial properties. But how to brew it at home? Here are some simple recipes:
- With angina, elevated cholesterol or cardiac arrhythmia, a decoction of this plant should be done as follows: 1 tbsp. l berries pour boiling water and boil a little over low heat until the water evaporates by half. Before brewing, the fruit must be soaked for 5 minutes. It is necessary to accept 4 months on 1 Art. l 3 times a day before meals. After the course of treatment, you must take a break, then the treatment can be continued.
- For the prevention and treatment of hypertension, the dried fruits of hawthorn should be poured with boiling water and insisted in a warm place for 2 hours. A cooling oven can be used for this purpose. After the infusion, you need to strain and drink 1 tsp. 4 times a day.
- To relieve the symptoms of hypertension, you can grind 500 g of shrubs and fill them with a small amount of cold water - no more than 1 tbsp. After the fruit is heated to 40 degrees and squeeze the juice. Accepted such a tool for 1 tbsp. l 3 times a day.
- To normalize the nervous system, pour 1 tbsp. l dry berries with boiling water and insist. Take before eating 2 tbsp. l 3 times a day.
- Angina can also be cured with the help of hawthorn decoction with the addition of motherwort. 6 tbsp. l motherwort and 6 tbsp. l hawthorn pour boiled up to 7 st. water. Put in a warm place for a day, then strain the infusion through gauze. So that the tool does not deteriorate, it must be stored in the refrigerator.
- In cardiovascular diseases, in particular coronary heart disease, the following recipe will do: for 1 tbsp. boiling water take 1 tbsp. l hawthorn and insist for 3 h in a warm place. Strained infusion taken 3 times a day for ½ tbsp.
Herbal medicine people began to apply in ancient times. It remains relevant to this day. Herbalists and healers especially appreciate the properties of hawthorn. It is used to treat many diseases, most often in the form of infusions and decoctions. Before using products based on this plant, it is recommended to consult with your doctor.