In the case of a temperature increase, we often try to immediately bring it down. But fever is a protective reaction of the body to a disease, most often infectious. What is more important - comfort and well-being or recovery? Usually, mothers unequivocally solve this dilemma in favor of comfort when it comes to their children. How to bring down the temperature of the child at home to help and not harm?
When is it necessary to churn the temperature?
According to experts, it is necessary to consult a doctor as soon as possible in the following cases.
- The baby is not yet 6 months old.
- The body temperature of a child of any age has risen to the level of 38.5 ºС and continues to grow.
- The little patient is lethargic, does not want to play.
- Any of the following symptoms appeared: impairment of consciousness (delirium), shortness of breath, vomiting.
- Chronic diseases have already been registered in the child’s medical card, there is a risk of seizures, allergies and tachycardias.
- There are no obvious signs of any disease, but the temperature does not decrease for several days.
And if the temperature is not too high?
The normal temperature is 36.6 ºС, but this figure depends on the individual characteristics. The increase may indicate endocrine, vascular, but most often - an infectious disease. The famous "tele-doctor" Komarovsky urges parents not to bring down the temperature from the first minutes, but to give the body a chance to cope on its own. The center of body temperature control is located in the brain section - the hypothalamus. That is, our body quite consciously raises its temperature. Goals 2: firstly, even a slight increase dramatically reduces the ability of pathogens to multiply, and secondly, it is a condition for the production of interferon - a protein that performs an important mission to destroy viruses.
But this does not mean that the higher the better. To suffer and suffer is not necessary. It is necessary to apply means to reduce the temperature if it reaches 38º and continues to grow, as well as at a lower temperature for those children (and adults!) Who do not tolerate heat.
How to bring down the temperature at home?
Komarovsky advises not to rush to the pharmacy. There are homemade methods for reducing the temperature. Not all are straightforward. For example, many have heard of alcohol rubbing as an effective measure. Many options have been invented and how to bring the temperature down with vinegar at home:
- vinegar is added to 36 ºС baths with water and the patient is placed in them for 5-10 minutes;
- moistened with an acidified solution of a towel and make lotions in the popliteal, axillary cavities, in the groin area;
- make compresses on the forehead of potato slices moistened with a weak solution.
Indeed, both alcohol and vinegar have the ability to evaporate quickly, which means they are more efficient than water and sweat as coolers. But, unfortunately, these substances are absorbed through baby skin. Do not use these methods for your child! Alcohol absorbed through the skin can lead to alcohol intoxication, because a child’s body does not need much. This will cause serious damage to the child’s liver, and the temperature may even rise! When rubbed with vinegar, you can also get a toxic effect. The damage will be the more serious the younger the child.
So what can be done?
- Safe for children water rubbing. You can wipe the body of the child - back and abdomen, armpits, shoulders and hips - with lukewarm water. If the baby lies quietly in bed, you can use a wet compress on the forehead.
- Do not wrap the baby. When the air temperature from the room is 20-22 ºС, the baby may be in a T-shirt and panties. This clothing will not interfere with normal heat transfer.
- It is important to make up for the loss of fluids — give us plenty of water to drink at room temperature, pure or mineral. Homemade dried fruit compotes, just not too sweet, are also suitable. But it is not necessary to feed hard, because abundant food will increase the heat production in the body. Noisy games and violent tantrums can also lead to an increase in temperature.
- If the baby is chilled, then tea with raspberries, currants, honey or a decoction of lime blossom will help to warm up. These sweatshops quickly turn the temperature back to a decrease. Just make sure that the child has enough liquid in the body to sweat. This means that it is necessary to start otpaivanie all with the same simple water or unsweetened compote, and only then give tea, fruit drinks and decoctions.
When is the time to go to the pharmacy?
If folk remedies did not help, use drugs from the pharmacy: paracetamol, efferalgan, cefecone. For children, these medicines are available in the form of sweet syrups or candles. The advantage of the latter is that they act quickly and "bypassing" the stomach, without irritating it. In the absence of candles in the home first aid kit, they can be replaced with an enema with a solution of antipyretic tablets. True, not every child older than 1-2 years will allow for such a procedure, someone can throw a tantrum. It must be remembered that when the temperature rises to 39 degrees and above, narrowing of the vessels at the periphery can occur (the arms and legs become cold). This leads to the fact that the use of candles becomes less effective. That is, the candle should be set if the thermometer showed 37.7 before going to bed. The action of the candle is long and can last all night due to the fact that the area of contact of the drug with the mucous membrane is small, and the absorption is slow.
You can not give children aspirin and analgin (the last drug in the complex is used in the ambulance, when other measures have already proved to be powerless). Aspirin, or acetylsalicylic acid, has antipyretic effects, but causes a specific complication called Reye's Syndrome. This is an acute and very serious liver damage that can be fatal.
It is necessary to separately allocate the drug, which not only lowers the temperature, but also relieves pain and soothes. This is ibuprofen for children. Instructions for use: children from three months of age are given a sweet suspension of 2.5-15 mg 3 times a day (no more than 4 doses per day) with an interval of at least 4 hours (dosage depends on weight, 5-10 mg per kg). For paracetamol, the numbers are different: the dose is calculated at the rate of 10-15 mg per kg, it can be taken no more than 4 times a day.
When to call "emergency"?
What to do if the temperature is above 39? In this case, most home remedies can no longer help. And also in the extreme case, if after 30-40 minutes after taking ibuprofen or paracetamol the temperature and does not think to decrease, leave the call of ambulance doctors. They will make a febrifuge injection. If a doctor cannot, for objective reasons, reach you and provide assistance, it is permissible to use paracetamol and ibuprofen in combination. Between taking paracetamol tablets (as well as ibuprofen), 4 hours should pass, but alternating medications can reduce this interval.
Suppose you managed to safely solve the problem of how to bring the temperature down to a child at home. But, whatever the reason for its increase, do not forget to contact your pediatrician the next day. Even if you think that the fever was just, for example, a reaction to teething, just in case, get expert advice. He will determine the exact cause and, if necessary, prescribe examination and treatment of the underlying disease.