The drug "Bromhexin" has long been synonymous with cough medicine, but for most people, this characteristic is rather vague. The tool is really effective, but only when used correctly. What type of cough is needed "Bromhexin", with which it can not be combined, and how to understand all forms of release and concentrations of this drug?
How to choose a cough type drug?
In order to accurately understand whether a particular drug will help and which medicine to go to the pharmacy, you need to clearly define the type of cough against which you should fight. Doctors divide it only into 2 groups: dry and wet. What are they characterized by?
- Wet cough - the presence of outgoing sputum, mucus, which can be easily spat out after each attack. Depending on the degree of the disease, it can be both transparent-watery and thick, as well as contain bloody inclusions. Often, it signals a viral infection, as well as the last stages of pneumonia, bronchitis, tuberculosis, etc.
- Dry cough - fighting, without any discharge, usually it is more frequent than wet, it causes more inconvenience due to the pain that comes quickly in the throat. Needs softening of the mucous membrane and revitalization of sputum.
Also, it should be noted the separation of cough on the basis of clinical evidence:
- Protracted can last from several weeks to 3 months, it signals an increase in the disease, the seizures themselves occur infrequently.
- Chronic starts at the 4th month of protracted, becomes even more rare, but often it is deep thoracic, with a rare sputum.
- Acute cough is characteristic of infections and respiratory diseases in the initial stages, lasts 2-3 weeks, causes a lot of inconvenience, since it is almost non-stop. It needs to be suppressed, but it is impossible to take expectorants.
How does the drug "Bromhexin"?
To understand what cough "Bromhexin" helps best, you need to refer to the principle of its work. At the expense of what components does this drug work, and what properties does it possess?
- The action of the active components (in particular, acidic polysaccharides) of "Bromhexine" is aimed at stimulating the mucous glands, which leads to an increase in the discharge of sputum and a decrease in the degree of its viscosity. Strictly speaking, the drug does not help with cough - on the contrary, it strengthens it, but at the same time makes it more productive, because part of the mucous secretion is separated and removed from the bronchi and lungs.
Given its pharmacodynamics, Bromhexin is focused on the treatment of dry cough, as well as deep chest cough, in which sputum is not separated or poorly separated. Thus, the range of indications for therapy with "Bromhexin" is as follows:
- bronchial asthma;
- chronic stage pneumonia;
- laryngitis, pharyngitis, tracheitis;
- bronchitis, tracheobronchitis, bronchoextase;
- emphysema and congenital pulmonary disease;
- cystic fibrosis, tuberculosis;
- any other diseases of the respiratory system, accompanied by a dry, long cough.
It is worth noting that "Bromhexin" also has a minimal calming and softening effect on the mucous membrane, this is especially true for the drug in the syrup format.-
- Regardless of its release form (pills or syrup), Bromhexin is extensively metabolized in the liver, the maximum concentration of the active substance is reached after 60 minutes, the cumulative effect is monitored after 48 hours. The excretion by the kidneys in the urine is 90%.
How to take Bromhexin?
It should immediately be said that the drug is not recommended for pregnant women and nursing mothers because of their ability to accumulate in the body with long-term use, but can be prescribed by a doctor if the intended benefit of the therapy exceeds the possible risks. It is also forbidden to combine the use of Bromhexine with alkaline solutions. The use of the drug in persons with intolerance to the active or its side components, as well as in renal and / or liver failure is unacceptable.
For children, Bromhexin in the syrup format is considered the most convenient. The concentration of the active substance is 4 or 10 mg for every 5 ml of the product. Children under 6 years old show syrup at a concentration of 4 mg per 5 ml, older than 6 years, 10 mg per 5 ml can be taken. The rule is not hard, but it greatly facilitates the subsequent calculation of the dosage for babies.
- Children under 2 years old are given 2.5 ml (half a measuring spoon) of syrup no more than 3 times a day, depending on the diagnosis.
- Children from 2 to 6 years old are recommended to take 5 ml (1 scoop) also 3 times a day.
- For children over 6 years old, the maximum total amount of the drug is 24 mg of the active substance, which is 12 ml of syrup with 10 mg per 5 ml. This volume is divided into 3 doses.
- Children from 10 years old are given the same amount, but with a frequency of up to 4 times a day.
- The dosage for adults is 8 ml of a single dose, repeated up to 4 times per day. The total amount of the active substance "Bromhexine" can reach 64 mg per day.
For a child over 10 years old and an adult, Bromhexine tablets are often recommended. Instructions for use are attached to them the same as to the syrup: only the calculation changes. Tablets are available in concentrations of 4, 8 and 16 mg of active substance per 1 pc. For this reason, children are recommended minimum concentrations in order not to violate the indicated dosage multiple of 4.
- In critical situations (one-time practice!), Children over 10 years old are allowed to drink 16 mg of the active substance in syrup or tablet per 1 day, which is repeated up to 2 times per day. Children up to 10 years old can do the same, but with 8 mg of the active substance per dose.
You should also pay attention to the solution "Bromhexin", focused on inhalation and internal administration. Concentration is 10 mg per 5 ml. How to use it?
- Children under 6 years old inhalate once a day, the amount of solution is 1 ml poured into a nebulizer.
- Children under 10 years old are allowed to carry out 2 inhalations per day with the same dosage of the drug.
- Children over 10 years old are allowed to give a nebulizer with 2 ml of solution, the therapy should be carried out 2 times a day.
- Adults take no more than 4 ml per inhalation, the frequency of the procedure is also 2 times a day.
Doctors warn that for inhalation only a special solution can be used, which differs from the syrup in its consistency and concentration.
- Parenteral administration of Bromhexine is possible, for which a solution is also taken (not a syrup!). The indication for this procedure may be a disease after surgery or the need to instantly alleviate the patient's condition. A single amount of the drug for intravenous or intramuscular administration should not exceed 1 ml (2 mg of the active substance), the duration of administration is 3 minutes.
Judging by the opinions of doctors and consumers, it can be argued that with a dry cough, "Bromhexin" is recognized as the best way to reduce the degree of pain and facilitate the discharge of sputum, both from the throat and from the lungs and bronchi. However, it is necessary to use it strictly according to the instructions, not to drink before bedtime, and also not to combine with drugs that block the reflex centers of the brain.