Hiccup hurts the whole day - what to do in such a situation? This question interests every person who has experienced a long and incessant attack at least once in his life. In most cases, when this condition does not last too long, it is absolutely harmless, although it brings a lot of unpleasant sensations. But in some cases, hiccups can indicate serious diseases.
What causes a hiccup attack all day? Are there any simple ways to get rid of this unpleasant condition and when should I seek medical advice in order not to miss the signs of trouble in the body?
What is hiccups?
The attack of hiccups is provoked by irritation of the diaphragm. In ordinary life, when we breathe in, our diaphragm descends so that the air can penetrate into the lungs, and when we breathe out it rises to give it peace to come out of the lungs.
Regardless of the reason, when the diaphragm is irritated, it begins to move not smoothly, but in spurts, in which case an intermittent flow of air masses enters the throat. If this happens, the glottis is sharply closed, which is accompanied by involuntary convulsion and all the well-known characteristic sound. So our body is trying to get rid of excessive air. When he is all out, the hiccups will stop immediately.
What causes hiccups?
As a rule, an attack of hiccups is caused by the following reasons:
- excessive haste in the process of eating;
- binge eating;
- fright, surprise or shock;
- being in the same uncomfortable position for a long time;
- excessive use of alcoholic and carbonated drinks.
In all these situations, an attack of hiccups lasts no more than 20 minutes and does not cause any harm to a person. Meanwhile, long-lasting, sometimes lasting a whole day, or quite different reasons cause frequent hiccups, for example:
- damage, pinching or irritation of the vagus nerve;
- meningitis, encephalitis;
- various diseases of the central nervous system;
- disorders of the brain or spinal cord;
- pre-infarction and pre-stroke state;
- hernia of the esophagus;
- various disorders of the lungs;
- multiple sclerosis.
How to get rid of hiccups?
Each of us has firsthand knowledge of any methods of getting rid of a painful attack. Meanwhile, all popular methods work only when the hiccups are not long and are caused only by the most innocent reasons. To combat an attack, try one of the following methods:
- The best remedy for hiccups is to provoke vomiting. This method helps almost always, but it is used quite rarely. Before starting to induce vomiting, it is recommended to drink some water to fill the stomach;
- you can take a deep breath and try to hold the air as long as possible;
- in some cases, calm and measured breathing can help with long intervals between inhalation and exhalation;
- to get rid of the attack should be carefully, slowly drink as much pure water as possible;
- sneezing can be provoked. To do this, most often sniff black ground pepper;
- if you change a pose (for example, to sit down, with your knees pressed against your chest), this also often helps;
- sometimes trying to push the tongue as far as possible comes to the rescue;
- One of the most popular remedies for hiccups is to scare a hiccup. Indeed, it is one of the most effective, but it is impossible to use it on your own. In addition, you should be especially careful not to overdo it and not bring the person to hysterics or a heart attack;
- Finally, to remove an attack of hiccups, you can put a piece of sugar, a slice of lemon or a small slice of fresh bread on the tongue.
If a long and incessant hiccup torments all day long, what to do in this case? Of course, in such a situation it is necessary to consult a doctor. Before consulting with a doctor, you can try one of the following methods that can alleviate the condition in case of frequent and prolonged hiccups, regardless of its causes:
- mustard powder should be mixed with vinegar. The resulting mass should be applied to the tongue 3-4 times a day for 1-2 minutes, then rinse with warm water. The procedure is not the most pleasant, because the tongue will be quite tweaking. Meanwhile, this remedy for hiccups is quite effective, so it is better to be patient for some time than to suffer from an ongoing attack;
- from regular hiccups can help tincture dill seed. For this, 1 tsp. dry seeds should be poured 250 ml of boiling water and infused for 30-40 minutes. Drink the resulting liquid 3 times a day in 100 ml.
What does medical examination and treatment include in cases of frequent and prolonged hiccups?
If attacks of hiccups make you suffer painfully, and its total duration is more than 48 hours, you should consult a doctor as soon as possible. The doctor will be able to conduct all necessary examinations and identify the cause of the unpleasant pathology. For this, you may have to conduct a number of additional studies, for example:
- biochemical blood test to check the state of the gastrointestinal tract and digestive system;
- electrocardiogram and other methods of studying the cardiovascular system;
- X-ray examination to identify various mechanical obstructions in the esophagus. This procedure is carried out after the obligatory intake of barium mixture.
Depending on the result of the examination, acupuncture, hypnotherapy, and necessary medications can be prescribed. In particular, Haloperidol, Baclofen or Aminazin is used to relax the diaphragmatic muscles; for elimination of stomach problems - Omeprazole or Metoclopramide; for anesthesia attacks - Ketamine and other analgesics. In addition, various sedatives are often used in the complex treatment of frequent and prolonged hiccups.