The tarragon has many names: tarragon, dragon and tarragon wormwood, dragoon grass. It is associated with all the famous carbonated drink. Estragon is a perennial herb spread throughout the world from Mongolia and Eastern Siberia. It is used in cooking and has healing properties.
Herb tarragon: application
Scope of tarragon is quite wide. It is used in traditional medicine and cooking.
For the treatment is usually used the upper part of the plant. The tops are cut off, tied up in small bunches and suspended in a dry room. You can harvest the grass and with the help of an oven or a special dryer. The volume of dried tarragon tops is usually reduced by 25 percent from the initial amount. Keep the grass in hermetically sealed glass jars.
In cooking tarragon is used in dry and fresh form.
Estragon grass: properties
In fact, tarragon is a type of wormwood. But unlike it, it is absolutely not bitter. Estragon grass has a whole list of useful substances that explain its properties. It contains vitamins A, B and C, mineral salts, essential oils.
- Due to its composition, tarragon is used as a sedative, anti-depression remedy, for problems with the gastrointestinal tract and urinary system. It should be remembered that the plant should be used in small doses. Otherwise, nausea, dizziness and even seizures may occur.
- Estragon helps with problems with the menstrual cycle and potency.
- Interestingly, this herb is used to reduce the salt content in food. It helps to lose weight.
- Do not use tarragon for gastric ulcer and gastritis. It is contraindicated in pregnant women.
Estragon herb: application in cooking
Tarragon can be found in dishes of any cuisine. It is distributed as a culinary seasoning throughout the world. The stereotype, according to which the use of this spice in dishes is inherent only in Eastern and Caucasian cuisine, is not quite correct. In France and Lithuania tarragon herb is added to meat, soups and salads. It gives pork and lamb a subtle, sophisticated flavor. Most often, dried and ground tarragon is used for meat dishes. In salads usually add chopped greens. It is absolutely not bitter, does not interrupt the taste, but sets it off. The taste becomes even more saturated if you add some lemon juice to the tarragon. Literally sprinkle them with greens. This is due to the fact that tarragon manifests its taste in an acidic environment.
Estragon has another useful property, it acts as a preservative. That is why some housewives add it to the workpiece for the winter. When marinating, tarragon inhibits the reproduction of lactic acid bacteria. Because of this, vegetables do not change color. Their aroma and taste improves. The plant is added when souring cabbage, harvesting cucumbers and tomatoes. One serving usually takes about 6 grams. Tarhuna. When using other spices, its amount should be slightly reduced.
Tarragon herb: recipes
There are many simple recipes with tarragon. It is usually added as a spice. The amount is determined by their own taste preferences and sensations. There are recipes in which tarragon plays a leading role. One of them is French tarragon sauce.-
French tarragon sauce
- Vegetable oil - 200 gr.
- Tarragon - to taste
- Sugar - 1st.l.
- Sour cream - 6 tbsp. l
- Yolk - 6 pcs.
- Spinach, parsley - to taste
- Fresh tarragon immerse in boiling water, get in 1-2 minutes. Cool and chop.
- Mix sugar and mustard, add vegetable oil. Heat sour cream, pour in a thin stream of whipped yolks. Bring the mixture to a boil. Remove sour cream with yolks from the heat, add sugar and mustard to them. In the mixture, put blanched tarragon, parsley and spinach in equal quantities.
- Usually, tarragon sauce is poured over fish and seafood. It is also quite appropriate to use it with meat dishes.
- A bunch of fresh tarragon
- Lemon - 1 pc.
- Lime - 3 pcs.
- Sugar - 8 tsp.
- Sparkling water - 1, 5 liters.
- Tarragon grind in a blender. Add sugar to it and carefully move. Cut lemon and lime into small slices. Add them to the tarragon. Fill with sparkling water. Send the drink in the fridge for 1-1,5 hours. Serve with ice.
- It is better to use an airtight container for storage and supply. The drink turns yellowish. If desired, it can be made green with food coloring.
- Fresh tarragon - 100 gr.
- Sour cream - 50 gr.
- Mayonnaise - 50 gr.
- Garlic - 1 head
- Wash greens, chop and chop in a blender with garlic until juice appears. Mix sour cream, mayonnaise and tarragon with garlic.
- Leave in the refrigerator for 1 hour. The mixture is spread on bread. Used as an appetizer for first and second courses.
Grass tarragon plant, known for a long time. Our ancestors treated them with bites of poisonous insects and scurvy. Now tarragon is used both in traditional medicine and in cooking. The reason for the popularity is simple - not only the beneficial properties of the plant, but also its exquisite aroma.