Gastroscopy of the stomach is not the most pleasant, but sometimes necessary procedure for accurate diagnosis of gastric diseases. From this article you will learn what types of gastroscopy exist, what goals it pursues, read reviews of doctors and patients about this procedure.
What is gastroscopy?
This is a way to study the gastric mucosa by inserting a probe. Gastroscopy is performed on an empty stomach in the morning, while the patient should not eat anything later than 7:00 in the evening of the previous day. Everyone knows that the pleasure of gastroscopy, to put it mildly, is small, so if the patient is very worried, you can take a sedative in the evening.
In the morning, immediately before the examination, the patient’s oral cavity is lubricated or irrigated with an anesthetic (usually a lidocaine solution). After a few minutes, the patient feels that the pharynx is "numb" and it becomes difficult for him to swallow. The doctor lays the patient on a couch on his left side and puts a special nubber into his mouth that prevents the probe tube from being eaten with his teeth. The doctor then inserts the probe through the mouth into the esophagus. The most difficult is to overcome the mouth, this is the very place where the oral cavity passes into the esophagus. Usually, the doctor asks the patient to swallow the probe, after which he slides easily enough along the esophagus to the stomach. The whole procedure takes about 5 minutes, during which time the doctor has time to examine the mucous membrane, and, if necessary, take tests for a biopsy of the stomach.
After the procedure, the patient should rest for about 20 minutes and eat nothing for 1.5 hours.
Since gastroscopy is a rather serious test for the human body, it has contraindications:
- heart and pulmonary heart disease;
- stroke or heart attack (including history);
- mental illness;
- some diseases of the esophagus;
- severe obesity.
Gastroscopy of the stomach without swallowing the probe
For many people, swallowing the probe becomes a real torment. Especially hard gastroscopy is given to older people. In this regard, the question has long been raised - is it possible to perform a gastroscopy without swallowing the probe?
Fortunately, this method was invented several years ago and is being successfully used today. Instead of a probe, you swallow a small video capsule that "travels" through your stomach for 6-8 hours, records everything and takes pictures.
Preparation for such a gastroscopy is more prolonged - for 2 days the patient is allowed to take only liquid food and mashed potatoes, while alcohol, cabbage and legumes are completely excluded.
On the morning of the study, the patient swallows the capsule on an empty stomach, washing it down with water. Next, the patient can go home or to work and do ordinary things, no discomfort will not be felt.
After 8 hours, the patient returns to the hospital, and the doctor "reads" from the video capsule.
Of course, the video capsule has great dignity - with its help, the study was completely painless and comfortable for the patient. But she also has a significant disadvantage - she is not able to take a biopsy or eliminate, for example, the detected bleeding on the spot.-
How to determine the acidity of the stomach without gastroscopy?
Most often, gastroscopy is performed in order to ascertain the nature of the disease - gastritis, ulcers, stomach cancer, etc. As you know, gastritis can be of 2 types, depending on the acidity of gastric juice (increased or decreased), and the choice of treatment depends on it. Only gastroscopy can accurately determine the acidity. However, there are indirect methods to establish the acidity of gastric juice and without the introduction of the probe.
First of all, you need to focus on the health of the patient.
So oh high acidity may testify:
- the appearance of pain in the stomach, which pass with saturation;
- discomfort in the stomach (nausea, pain, heaviness) after ingestion of acidic foods (for example, apple juice or cherries), which pass after drinking a glass of water with the addition of half a teaspoon of baking soda.
ABOUT low acidity The following symptoms say:
- the patient feels great, drinking sour apple juice on an empty stomach, and can completely eat lemon without sugar, even without wrinkling;
- aching pains in the stomach, not dependent on food intake;
- bloating and flatulence.
In addition, the acidity of the gastric juice can be detected using acid test. The method is not the most reliable, but painless. For this analysis, the patient drinks special pills received from a doctor. These tablets contain a special substance that produces a dye when combined with gastric juice. Then the dye is excreted in the urine. The color of urine can determine the level of acidity.
Reviews of doctors and patients about the procedure
Tatyana, patient: Gastritis was set to me while I was still at school. Gastroscopy was not done, but there was an x-ray of the stomach, during which it was necessary to swallow some viscous liquid with chalky taste. The doctor prescribed the treatment, and the pain seemed to be gone, but the tests were bad. After that, the doctor sent me to FGS (fibrogastroscopy). To say that I was shocked by this procedure - to say nothing. A terrible feeling when you swallow, swallow, but you can not swallow, tears flow, belching goes, heart pounding somewhere in the temples ... But the study gave the result. I don’t know what was found there, but the doctor changed the treatment a little, and after a week everything was all right with the tests. After that, I went to the hospital for a preventive examination for several months, but the disease never returned.
Rimma, a doctor: I have been doing gastroscopy for patients for a very long time, but I myself, to be honest, am very glad that God has given me a healthy stomach. Turning to patients, I want to emphasize the accuracy of this diagnostic method and give some tips:
- Do not pay attention to the negative reviews of gastroscopy on the Internet. Better read how to properly prepare for it. If you are afraid, take a sedative for a few days.
- On the day of the study, come to the hospital in advance and be sure to take a towel with you! Thanks to the towel, your clothes will keep a “marketable” look. Try not to drink anything for 3-4 hours before the procedure.
- Remember, gastroscopy is performed on an empty stomach! If you have not resisted and ate, better admit it to the doctor, and he will transfer the study. Otherwise, the equipment may deteriorate, and it will be difficult for the doctor to examine anything among the pieces of food.
- During the procedure, carefully listen to the instructions of the doctor - he will tell you how to breathe and how to behave. No need to jump up and try to pull out the probe - this can lead to damage to your organs. If the doctor sees that you are ill, he will bring the probe in a safe way for you.
Gastroscopy of the stomach is a painful and unpleasant procedure, but it can accurately give the doctor a picture of what is happening in your stomach. This will allow you to prescribe the exact treatment that will quickly put you on your feet. So do not be afraid of this study, but just prepare for it correctly!