Going into any of the supermarkets, taking any box with the product and reading the composition, we can make sure that the composition will contain food additives or additives containing the letter code E. They are currently quite widely used in the food industry.
What are they needed for? Are there any benefits from them? What harm from the use of food additives? Let's try to figure it out.
Nutritional supplements: harm or benefit?
When purchasing products in the store, we do not always read their composition. Hand on heart, we admit, we do it extremely rarely, if we do at all.
Why do I need to use food additives? They are added to products to impart to the latter various properties and qualities. Food additives improve the properties of products, increase shelf life, change the texture, color and smell. To date, there are more than five hundred types of various food additives.
There are natural and synthetic additives. Natural products are made from natural substances. From all sorts of fungi, spices, bark, yeast, herbs. Synthetic additives are obtained artificially.
- Nutritional supplements can cause irreparable harm to the body, since their use can affect the body in a completely unexpected way. According to the results of statistical studies, each person eats from two to nine kg of food additives per year!
- The actions of all kinds of preservatives are directed not only to improve the appearance of the products. By preserving the products, they prevent the development of harmful bacteria in them, which are able to produce botulism. And botulism, as you know, can end in death.
- In the process of digestion, after eating foods with additives, carcinogens can begin to be produced in the human body - toxic substances that, over time, can destroy the liver and kidneys.
- In addition, dietary supplements can upset the work of the gastrointestinal tract, increase excitability.
We will not ignore such a common food additive as sorbic acid. It is considered one of the safest supplements. It is added to products such as cheese, lemonade, cakes, caviar and others. However, using products with this additive, you can get skin irritation.
No less known additive is monosodium glutamate. This additive is designed to improve the taste of products. However, it does not just improve the taste, it changes it. The additive irritates taste receptors and is addictive. It is easy to agree with this statement. After all, we have repeatedly noticed how our children are asking to buy them a pack of chips or crackers. But it is in these products that monosodium glutamate is found in excess.
Japanese scientists, having conducted numerous studies, came to the conclusion that frequent use of products with this food supplement leads to loss of vision.-
American scientists, in turn, concluded that the use of products containing monosodium glutamate causes irreversible brain damage, headaches, weakness, nausea, chest pain, arrhythmia! And this is not a complete list of diseases!
Recommendations on the use of foods with food additives
First of all, think about whether it is necessary for you to use those products that contain various additives. After all, most often, these products are semi-finished products. Obviously, the purchase of this piece of meat will bring much more benefit to your health. In addition, you can buy fish, fresh vegetables, fruits and cereals.
- Try to negate the use of various convenience foods. Even if they look good and smell good. Whatever the price of the semi-finished products and their quality, they will still contain food additives.
- Of course, in the conditions of modern life, it is impossible to completely abandon semi-finished products. But it is better if you leave these products for emergency cases, exceptional situations in which it is simply not possible to cook something natural.
- Consider that a safe dose of food supplements per day is approximately 5 mg per kg of a person’s weight. And for children up to middle school age, the use of products with the content of food additives is generally prohibited!
- What is the best way to navigate the grocery variety of supermarkets? First, do not purchase products that are not known to you. Do not be tempted by the bright packaging of products, their unusual pleasant smell. Most often it is the tricks of the manufacturer. And there is little benefit from such food, rather one harm.
- Try to wean yourself from snacking. Take with you to work a full meal from home. When cooking, use natural spices, discard synthetic seasonings.
Be careful: some unscrupulous manufacturers are specifically silent about the presence of food additives in products. But this will tell you a bright color, rich smell and long shelf life. In addition, none of the producers will not put on the package with eggs, for example, information about what additives fed chickens to the color of the yolk became more saturated.
Carefully read the label of the purchased product. For example, information such as "Sugar free" may indicate that a food additive has been added to replace sugar.
In many countries it is generally forbidden to add certain additives to food products. Let's hope that in our country someday they will ban them. In the meantime, it remains for us to carefully study the composition of the product being purchased, and abandon the use of semi-finished products.