Most of the information from the outside world we get through the eyes. Therefore, it is very important to monitor their health, especially today, when in the conditions of modern life this body has a huge burden. One of the most common and dangerous signs of deviations in eye health is increased eye pressure. The symptoms and treatment of this ailment should be known to everyone in order to protect themselves from problems.
Inside the eye is a fluid that circulates constantly. During normal inflow and outflow of this fluid, a certain pressure is retained in the eye, which does not give a person any discomfort, maintains the natural shape and size of the eye, and contributes to the normal functioning of the organ. If for some reason the inflow and outflow of fluid are disturbed, the pressure changes its performance - it increases or decreases, which leads to various diseases.
Eye pressure: normal
There are various methods for determining the level of eye pressure:
Depending on the method of diagnosis, the values of the norm of ocular pressure vary. But on average they are at least 8 and not more than 25 mm Hg.
Symptoms and treatment, causes of high blood pressure
The most common form of violation of eye pressure is to change it upwards. This happens when the outflow of fluid is disturbed inside the eye, and it begins to accumulate in the eye. The causes of this phenomenon may be the following:
- the presence of diseases of the heart and blood vessels;
- large loads on the eyes (long work on the computer, work with small details, welding);
- excessive exercise (weight lifting, high-intensity cardio);
- infectious diseases;
- sauna visit;
- eye injuries;
- taking drugs that help to increase pressure;
- congenital features of the structure of the eye;
- the presence of farsightedness.
Symptoms of this phenomenon are redness of the eyes, feeling of pressure, pain in the eyeballs, headaches (especially in the temples and forehead, near the eyes), reduced visual acuity. If the increase in pressure is accompanied by nausea, the appearance of colored spots and circles on a light background, a decrease in the field of view, corneal opacity and swelling of the eyelids - this most likely indicates an attack of glaucoma.
A decrease in eye pressure may occur for the following reasons:
- violation of the discharge of intraocular fluid;
- penetrating eye injuries;
- retinal detachment;
- abdominal eye surgery;
- inflammatory diseases of the eye;
- violation of the eye vessels;
- certain liver diseases;
- low blood pressure;
- infectious diseases resulting in dehydration.
Symptoms of such a violation are dry eyes, corneal edema and clouding of the eyes, reduced vision, and in neglected condition, a reduction in the size of the eyeball.
Since all people have different causes and symptoms of diseases, treatment of deviations in eye pressure also does not imply a single system for all. In order for the correct therapy to be chosen, it is necessary to undergo an examination that will reveal the cause and extent of the disease. In some cases, it is enough to create conditions for relieving eye strain, to correct the lifestyle:-
- reduce the time spent in front of a computer monitor or television screen;
- reduce physical and / or mental stress;
- eliminate alcohol;
- do gymnastics for the eyes.
If the changes do not justify the hopes, the doctor offers physiotherapy and medication, normalizing the circulation of ophthalmic fluid, metabolic processes and blood circulation. Typically, this therapy includes drops from eye pressure (for example, Timolol and Travatan with increased, and Xalatan and Okumed with reduced), as well as diuretics.
In cases where the change in pressure is triggered by bacterial or viral infections, and is also a result of diseases of internal organs and systems, treatment is prescribed to eliminate the root cause, that is, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, inflammatory processes, etc.
If, however, drug therapy does not cope with the problem, laser correction or microsurgical techniques for restoring intraocular pressure are prescribed. These methods are aimed at adjusting the outflow of eye fluid, if for some reason the channels and capillaries along which it moves, do not cope with this task.
Peculiarities of home treatment
Symptoms of deviation of intraocular pressure from normal values indicate that it is necessary to apply measures without delay in order to prevent deterioration of the condition and development of the disease. In combination with the methods of official medicine, some popular methods also give good results.
- Honey. For treatment it is necessary to use only natural honey, which is diluted with boiled water in proportions of 1: 4. This solution of the eye must be instilled daily 2-3 times, 1 drop.
- Brew 15 g dry motherwort in 1 tbsp. hot water. After allowing to stand for 1 hour, drink the resulting herbal infusion three times a day, 1 tbsp. l
- A 10% solution of aloe juice with boiled water effectively helps reduce eye pressure. Flush eyes with this solution 3-4 times a day for a week.
- Raw potatoes, sliced into thin plates, overlaid on the eyes in the morning and evening for 15-20 minutes. This also helps reduce eye pressure.
In addition to the above methods, it is necessary to perform regular exercises for the eyes: movements by the pupils to the sides, up and down, diagonally, in a circle in one and the other direction, etc.
For the prevention of violations of intraocular pressure should be careful not only to the condition of the eyes, but also the whole health.
- It is necessary to give a regular rest to the eyes, if the work is connected with the tension of vision.
- Regular exercise (walking, tennis, fitness, swimming) prevent the accumulation of fluid in the eyes and contribute to the normalization of blood circulation and metabolic processes.
- It is necessary to limit the amount of salt, coffee, strong tea and alcohol consumed.
- In the diet should be a sufficient amount of raw fruits, berries and vegetables. Especially useful for the prevention of intraocular pressure, watermelons, currants, pumpkin, grapes, dill.
- With elevated intraocular pressure, do not drink plenty of fluids.
- During sleep, the head should be raised, it is undesirable to sleep without a pillow.
- Regularly necessary to massage the neck, neck area and a gentle eye massage.
- Avoid stressful situations, mental (as well as physical) overvoltage.
It is necessary to regularly go for consultations to an ophthalmologist, because sometimes the problems that have started with the eyes do not make themselves known, but manifest themselves only at the stage when the process is already irreversible. It is especially important to take this into account for people with age, hereditary or any other susceptibility to such diseases. Careful and attentive attitude to the state of your eyes will allow you to maintain their health for a long time.