The topic of coughing is not new to anyone. But his treatment is a reason for a serious conversation. After all, today the pharmaceutical market is striking with a variety of drugs with a moist cough. What to take for yourself or a child? Let's put all these tools on the shelves in order to understand the best treatment.
What for to drink expectorants?
Cough is not a disease, but a physiological reflex. Then why are expectorants with a wet cough? If a person has caught an infection, then a tracheobronchial secret begins to form in his body (its volume can reach 1.5 liters per day!). Phlegm is suitable for the prosperity of pathogenic microorganisms, so the body tries to get rid of it (hence the cough). But it is very thick and does not want to leave the airways. Expectorants dissolve viscous secretions and help clear bronchi from mucus.
Sekretolitiki occupy one of the first places in the treatment of diseases involving cough. They are highly effective, significantly accelerate the process of recovery and do not allow the disease to become chronic.
The best wet cough syrup
Syrups are the first thing a person remembers if he is tortured by a cough. They are rapidly absorbed into the blood and provide the desired result. As a rule, they take 3 p. per day. Most effective:
- Pertussin. Proven, inexpensive combination tool. Thyme or thyme extract is present in its composition. It stimulates the secretion of mucus and dilutes the sputum. One of the ingredients is potassium bromide. It produces a sedative effect. Not suitable for children under 3 years old and pregnant;
- Herbion. Ingredients: thyme extract, primrose, menthol. In addition to mucolytic, produces anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial action. Allowed from 2 years;
- Prospan (ivy-based). Makes phlegm more liquid, relaxes the muscles of the bronchi. You can take it not only adults but also children older than a year;
- Ambroxol for cough is one of the most powerful expectorant drugs. Its expensive counterparts are Lasolvan, Ambrobene, Ambrogexal. All of them contain ambroxol hydrochloride, which is able to reduce the viscosity of sputum and help its discharge. Contraindication to his reception is an ulcer. Ambroxol in syrup can be given to children under 2 years old;
- Bromhexine for large and small patients. For babies under 2 years old, 2 ml every 8 hours. Over this age, 5 ml. Adolescents and adults, in order to clear mucus from the lungs and bronchi, should drink 20 ml of medication each 3 r. in a day.
Pills, sputum thinning
In order to facilitate coughing up, acetylcysteine-based drugs are widely used. Their feature is a combination of mucolytic and anti-inflammatory action. The most popular drugs are such a spectrum:
- Fluimucil - granules;
- ACC - tablet tablets, powder or granules. Very helpful with wet coughing;
- Vicks Active - soluble effervescent tablets.
For the treatment of used and these tablets means:
- Bromhexine for cough tablets in 4 tablets and 8 mg tablets. The tablet should be swallowed whole, with plenty of water or juice. Allowed for children from 3 years;
- Ambroxol - "pops". They must be drunk with meals;
- Mukaltin. A very famous product that contains alteyka and sodium bicarbonate. Drink pills before meals (can be dissolved in water);
- Codelac Broncho. It is a combined drug whose effect is due to the presence of ambroxol, glycerate, thermopsis. The tablet should be swallowed while eating. Allowed from 12 years.
Antitussive potions, lozenges and drops
Among these funds should provide a dry mixture for adults and children. It is a powder, and it is diluted with water 1 to 10. It contains marshmallow, licorice root, aniseed oil. Bromhexine is also produced in this form.
If it is not possible to take a syrup or medicine, then you can use the lozenges Dr. MOM, Alex Plus. Expectorant action have drops Bromhexin, Gadelix, ammonia, and anisic.
What kind medications will help the child cough up sputum?
If it is difficult for an adult to cope with expectoration of sputum, but even more so for a child! A real salvation in this case are expectorant drugs with a wet cough for children. But not all products from this list are suitable for treating young patients. If you are looking for a mucolytic drug for a child, then you can choose one of these means.
Medicines based on Althea for removing sputum difficult to separate:
- Mukaltin. Children (up to 3 years) should be given the drug according to this scheme: dissolve ½ tablet in a small portion of water (you can add a couple of drops of liquid honey), drink an hour before meals three times a day. The medicine can be given to one-year-old children with the permission of the doctor;
- Alteyka syrup. Babies give half a teaspoon (per day no more than 2 times). Children under 2 years old - 2 p. per day, from 2 to 6 years old - 1 tsp., over 7 years old - 2 tsp. from 4 to 6 times a day.
- Thermopsol. Resolution 6 months (0.01 g 3 p. per day). This dosage should be used until the child is 2 years old. From 3 to 4 years - to 0.015 g in three doses. From 5 years old it is increased to 0.02-0.025 g and from 7 years old to 0.03 g. The course of treatment is no longer than 5 days;
- Codelac Broncho. Syrup is designed for children from 2.5 years. The daily dose for such babies is 5 ml (it is divided into 3 times). If the child’s age is between 5 and 8 years old - 10 ml per day, over 8 years old - 15 ml-20 ml.
Drugs with Ambroxol:
- A cough shampoo prescribed for children from 2 years. Up to 6 years old - 1 ml in three doses, from 6 to 12 years old - 2 ml each. It is necessary to consume the solution after meals with clean water, tea or juice;
- Lasolvan. Softens and removes phlegm. Acts instantly. The instructions indicate that it is allowed to apply from 0 years. Dosage for the smallest (up to 2 years) - for ½ tsp. 2 p. per day, from 2 to 6 years old - the same dose of 3 r., from 6 years old - 1 tsp. 3 p. in a day.
These are the most popular products for children and adults. The range of such drugs, of course, is much wider. The general rule of their choice is this: if the cough has become a continuation of a cold, then do not start from the strongest - try simple and safe plant-based remedies. Well, if cough is a symptom of pneumonia or bronchitis, let the doctor prescribe the medicine.