Cough is an unpleasant phenomenon that can often be encountered with respiratory diseases in children. This is a beneficial process for the body: it helps the respiratory system to be cleansed of pathogenic microorganisms. But sometimes coughing makes feeding difficult and worsens sleep. To help kids cope with a severe symptom, apply a dry cough mixture for children. How to use it properly, so as not to harm the child?
Manufacturers produce the mixture in the form of a powder and recommend giving it to children only starting from six months. There are liquid and dry mixtures, but in a dry form the drug is more popular.
When giving your baby a potion, it should be remembered that in itself it is not a cure. The drug only relieves seizures, but does not eliminate the causes. If the cough does not go away and does not subside within 3-7 days, you should consult a doctor. The cause of the physiological phenomenon can be bronchitis, pneumonia, tracheitis, requiring antibiotic therapy.
The composition of the medicine contains not only chemical compounds, but also natural ingredients:
- althea and licorice extracts;
- sodium benzoate;
- sodium bicarbonate;
- anise oil;
- ammonium chloride;
Each of the components of the drug has its own purpose:
- Althea extract contains beneficial substances, including amino acids and pectin;
- bicarbonate is designed to make sputum more liquid;
- anise and sugar give the medicine a pleasantly sweet taste so that the mixture can be given to children;
- the remaining components have an expectorant effect.
Dry mixture is convenient to use. It comes in a bottle of 19.55 g and in bags of 1.47 g. The medicine is a dark powder with a light aroma of anise.
How to apply?
Most parents are interested in coughing dry cough mixture for children. It is necessary to use it only if you feel a lump in your throat, and you can’t expectorate phlegm. In the absence of a live infection in the body, a cough must pass within a week.
It will not be superfluous to take a mixture with respiratory diseases. The drug will help relieve pain, coughing, take out phlegm. As a result, it becomes easier to breathe and speak, recovery is much faster. To maximize the effect of the powder, you must follow the rules of application given in the instructions for dry cough mixture for children.
If you purchased a bottle, you need to fill the contents with 0.2 l of water. It is necessary to give medicine to a child from six months to 6 years old by 1 tsp. 4 times a day after meals. Children who have reached the age of 6 years and older can offer a dessert spoonful of the suspension.
Before use, shake the bottle thoroughly. The course of therapy may have a different duration - from 7 to 14 days - depending on the effectiveness of the treatment. The potion perfectly removes the congestion of the throat when the baby has nothing to breathe.
Cough medicine does not have specific contraindications. It can not be used if:
- baby less than six months;
- with the diagnosis of "pyelonephritis";
- if during this period other medicines are taken.
With care it is necessary to give a mixture of children with diabetes. The drug contains a lot of sugar, which can cause an increase in blood glucose levels.-
Among the side effects of manufacturers indicate only allergies, but it manifests itself mainly only with an overdose.
In a dark place with low humidity at a temperature not exceeding 25 degrees, the mixture is kept dry for a whole year. If you do not plan to use the whole bottle or most of it at once (for example, in the absence of an infectious disease), it would be better to get the medicine in the bags and apply it as needed. In diluted form, the medication in the vial can be stored no more than 10 days.
Tips for competent reception
Dry cough mixture for children requires adherence to some simple rules when using.
- You can not give medicine to the child more than 5 times a day.
- It is necessary to hide medicine from babies, both dry and diluted, in a dark, inaccessible place.
- Children should not be given several powders at once with a similar effect.
- The drug is well tolerated, if you do not exceed the dosage specified in the instructions.
- The medicine should not be expired. To do this, when buying, pay attention to the date of manufacture and shelf life.
- Strictly follow the instructions and do not assign their own dosage for the child. This can lead to dangerous consequences.
- Mixture do not drink.
- It is undesirable to skip the intake of powder.
If you follow these recommendations and take into account contraindications, then side effects can be minimized.
Dry cough mixture for children: reviews
Before the drug went on sale, manufacturers tested, which resulted in the following results:
- in 90% of cases, recovery is observed already on the 4th day of the use of the mixture;
- in 10% of cases, an allergic reaction was recorded in children with intolerance to sugar or flavored substances. The cause of side effects could also be anise oil - an allergenic product. Many babies had sneezing as a result of taking the drug.
However, the best idea of the effect of the mixture is given by the reviews of those parents who, in practice, used it to treat cough in their children. Positive feedback highlights some of the benefits of the drug. It:
- low price;
- quick action;
- natural ingredients in the composition;
- minimum of side effects (children with an allergic reaction should be given a mixture of medicine carefully, observing undesirable manifestations, or abandon it altogether);
- The drug is pleasant to the taste.
At the same time, some shortcomings are identified, for example:
- in severe cases does not always help;
- It is recommended by doctors for the period of recovery, while acute cough relieves badly;
- allergy to herbal medicine is possible;
- no measuring spoons (although you can use the usual teaspoon);
- short shelf life after preparation of the mixture: you have to drink it for one course of treatment.
Doctors speak positively about the drug. This is an excellent expectorant, but you need to use it wisely. Some parents, without a doctor's recommendation, begin to give it at the very beginning of the disease. Thus, they do not help their children, but, on the contrary, do worse. For the phlegm to begin to separate, the throat must be loosened. For this, pediatricians are appointed special rinses or lozenges. After that you can use expectorants. Their incorrect use gives rise to negative reviews of the mixture, which supposedly does not help. Pediatricians recommend using the drug in the recovery period, when the cough becomes wet, the temperature drops, and the disease enters the final stage.
Proper prescription of drugs and strict adherence to instructions - half the success. Dry medicine is a good remedy for getting rid of cough in children. However, it is best if the pediatrician prescribes it, giving special recommendations for use.