Northern berries are considered to be among the most useful. They contain a huge amount of vitamins and microelements. Among them is its own, as it is also called, the northern queen - cloudberry. What is surprising this berry?
In the old days it was impossible to imagine the North without cloudberries. She harvested for the winter in huge quantities. Now, due to many factors, the yield of the berry becomes less. In some, mostly Scandinavian, countries, it is specially grown. In Russia, cloudberries have always been considered the royal berry, and in Scandinavia it was estimated to be worth its weight in gold.
Cloudberry: useful properties
How do not call this useful berry! It is compared to raspberries, oranges and carrots. With raspberries - it is clear, since cloudberry is visually similar to it and is a close relative. Berry exceeds several times the oranges in vitamin C content and carrots in the amount of carotene.
- Berry was specially harvested to combat scurvy.
- Cloudberry strengthens the immune system.
- From the leaves make decoctions that have anti-inflammatory action. Northern berry is also used for colds.
- She is a diaphoretic.
- It can be treated with fruits and indigestion.
- Cloudberry has phytocidal action, kills pathogenic bacteria and microbes.
- Due to the huge amount of vitamin A in the composition improves eyesight.
- Because of the diuretic action is used in the treatment of cystitis.
- Contains a large amount of iron. Because of this, it is used for anemia.
- It is not only berries that have cloudberry value. In folk medicine and cosmetology use the roots and leaves of this wonderful plant.
- When cystitis, impaired metabolism, diarrhea can be made decoction of cloudberries.
- Dry crushed cloudberry leaves - 1 tsp.
- Water - 200 ml.
- Dry cloudberry leaves poured into the pan. Pour 200 ml of boiling water over them. The mixture is heated over low heat for 15 minutes.
- The broth is poured into a glass and 40 minutes. insist. The broth is filtered through cheesecloth and diluted with water to 200 ml.
- The finished product is drunk half an hour before meals in the amount of 50 ml of 3-4 r. in a day.
- Almost everyone can eat this berry. Do not abuse it allergies, people suffering from individual intolerance to some products. After eating cloudberries, you need to carefully monitor your well-being. It is contraindicated in gastritis, gastric ulcer, because irritates the mucosa. If you have problems with the digestive system before eating cloudberries, it is better to consult with your doctor.
- Cloudberry is indispensable for those who monitor their health and appearance. It gives shine to hair, improves skin and strengthens nails. It is used in cosmetics and added to homemade cosmetics. Cloudberry juice and leaves are used for dermatological problems. It is recommended to include in the diet for the prevention of skin cancer. Juice lubricates the affected skin, leaves applied to burns. As a multivitamin, cloudberries are eaten fresh. You can mix it with honey and a small amount of sugar.
Cloudberry: when to collect?
Unfortunately, cloudberries are not growing everywhere. It is amazing because it is the ancestor of heat-loving plants. This conclusion was made by examining the leaves of the plant. At the same time cloudberries mainly grow in northern latitudes. Although, there are cases when the berry is also found in other climatic conditions. The paradox is that the flowers of this plant react sharply to wind and low temperature. Despite this, it is in a cold climate that the yield of the berry is higher. To get to cloudberries, have to work hard. Berry grows in hard to reach places. She prefers peatlands, damp forests, swamps, is quite common in the tundra and forest tundra. Find cloudberries can be signs. Next to it grow moss and wild rosemary. North Queen begins to bloom first among the other berries - in June. And they harvest it in July-August.
It is easy to recognize cloudberries. The plant is a low shrub with round leaves. On individual stems are single flowers. Of these, the berries are formed. He ripens like the opposite. Red cloudberries begin to turn yellow and gradually become the color of amber. This is the berry and need to collect. There is a whole collection tradition. Firstly, only mature cloudberries can be collected. It should be as if revealed. Immature, of course, can reach at home, but she will not have the same taste. It is better to look not for separate bushes of a berry, but the whole glades, so you will collect the necessary quantity quicker.
Now it remains to learn how to properly store cloudberries. There are several ways. Berry poured water and put in a dark cool room. As such, it can be stored for up to 2 weeks. The best way is to freeze cloudberries. So it will be stored until the next harvest. The amount of vitamins in this berry will be slightly less than in fresh. If you have a cellar, you can try the traditional way of storing northern peoples. They poured cloudberries in barrels and stored in this form. The berry at the same time turned out to be soaked. From cloudberries you can make jam or compotes, delicious jelly and marshmallow. When cooking it is important to remember that the berries have rather large bones. Therefore, it is most often rubbed through a sieve.
Cloudberry jam: recipe
- Cloudberries - 1 kg
- Sugar - 700 gr.
- Cloudberries berries wash and fall asleep in the pan. Apply a little and put on a slow fire. Wait until the berry gives juice.
- It usually takes 15-20 minutes. Cloudberries fall asleep with sugar. Stir and boil until sugar is dissolved.
- The finished jam is poured into sterile jars and closed with a plastic cap. Cloudberry jam is stored in refrigerators or in a cool dark place.
- Cloudberry -100 gr.
- Sugar - 100 gr.
- Starch - 50 gr.
- Water - 1 l.
- Berries clean and rinse. Put in pan, crush. Water to warm and pour it berries. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Rub the mixture through a sieve into the other pan.
- Add sugar and diluted with a little water starch. Kissel bring to a boil.
- Berries peel, rinse. Pour water into a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Put berries in boiling water and boil for 1-3 minutes.
- Pass the cloudberries through the juicer. Strain juice through cheesecloth.
- Pour into clean sterilized containers.
- Cover with lids and store in a cool dark place.
Cloudberry combines the beneficial properties of orange, carrot, raspberry. The amount of vitamins and nutrients in it is surprisingly large. This berry can be eaten fresh, as a multivitamin, grind with honey and sugar, make jams, compotes, jelly out of it. With care you need to use this berry for people suffering from gastritis and ulcers, as well as allergies!