Of all the cephalosporin antibiotics, Cefazolin is the least toxic, and therefore, quite safe as far as possible to apply to antibiotics. This antimicrobial agent has a wide range of use, but with its direct use, questions may arise because the drug needs to be prepared. How to breed Cefazolin for children and adults? How to put him injections?
Cefazolin: indications for use
This semi-synthetic antibiotic has an effect on most single-cell microorganisms, gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. In the blood plasma is maintained for 12 hours, the highest concentration reaches 1 hour after administration intramuscularly or intravenously. Used in case of:
- Staphylococcus, syphilis, gonorrhea, sepsis
- Inflammation of the abdominal cavity
- Infections of biliary and urinary tract, musculoskeletal system, ENT organs, respiratory system
- Blood infection
- In order to prevent complications after surgery
Side effects are most often observed in people with individual intolerance to cephalosporins and penicillins, however, the body can react with hypersensitivity from the nervous system (convulsions), digestive, urinary and skin manifestations (itching, inflammation, swelling). With prolonged use dysbacteriosis develops.
- Due to the fact that the drug is eliminated by the kidneys, in any pathology of this organ, the use of Cefazolin must be coordinated with the attending physician, while the dosage is always reduced, the drug is administered once to prevent its accumulation in the kidneys.
- The drug can not be used during pregnancy and lactation, as well as in children under the age of 1 year, in premature babies. Cefazolin is not recommended for intestinal diseases.
How to prepare Cefazolin for injection: instructions
Since the main form of release of this antibiotic is powder, it needs preliminary preparation. Sterile water for injection is mainly used, but sometimes it is diluted with novocaine or lidocaine, thereby reducing the sensitivity of the injection area. For intramuscular injection, the pain of a cefazolin injection is always noted.
- With the introduction of Cefazolin intravenously, through a dropper, 1 g of the powder is dissolved in isotonic sodium chloride or glucose solution with a 5% concentration. The volume of fluid is 250 ml. The duration of the procedure is 30 minutes, an adult is performed twice. Maximum dosage - 6 g.
- With the introduction of Cefazolin intramuscularly, through an injection, for 0.5-2 g of powder there are 3 ml of water for injection. Sodium chloride can also be used. For an intravenous injection, the volume is increased to 10 ml.
- How to breed Cefazolin Novocain? For this purpose, a 1% solution of novocaine (or a smaller concentration) is used; 5 ml of novocaine are used per 1 g of Cefazolin.
The very system of dilution of powder with liquid looks like this:
- The foil is removed, the lid is processed with medical alcohol.
- The liquid is poured into the vial of powder.
- The bottle is shaken to dissolve the granules.
- The resulting solution is injected into the syringe.
How to breed Cefazolin for children?
The doctor should prescribe the dosage of this antibiotic for children, however in a critical situation you can calculate it yourself and also put the injection yourself.
- From 25 to 50 mg of Cefazolin is taken for each kg of net weight, depending on the sensitivity of the organism.
- A bottle of powder for children should contain 0.5 g of antibiotic, for the most accurate dosage. At higher concentrations (1 g, 2 g), 10 and 20 ml of liquid are taken, respectively.
- Water for injection or novocaine is also added to the vial, the right amount of ml is injected with a syringe.
The above instructions and recommendations for the use of Cefazolin do not replace the advice of a specialist. If any side effects occur, the antibiotic should be discontinued. Remember that Cefazolin solution can be injected only if it is completely transparent.