Bowel emptying is a natural process that allows the body to get rid of waste products. Violation of this mechanism indicates pathological disorders occurring in the human body. There may be many reasons for this, but if an adult’s liquid stool persists for a long time, it is worth paying close attention to it.
Fluid stool - alarm?
A person eats a variety of foods. Their composition and quantity directly affect the frequency and consistency of fecal masses. Normal is the chair 1-2 times a day. Fecal masses have a rather dense consistency, the moisture content in them should not exceed 80%. In the event that this indicator grows, the frequency of bowel movements increases, we are talking about diarrhea. This condition causes considerable discomfort and threatens to dehydrate the body. But it happens that the frequency of the toilet is not disturbed, however, the feces contain a lot of water. If there is a liquid stool in an adult for a long time, the causes can only be determined by the results of tests and examinations. And with that, and with another it is not necessary to tighten.
Causes of loose stools
It must be understood that loose stools is only a symptom indicating violations in the body. It is a kind of litmus test, an indicator that gives an alarm.
The reasons for the occurrence of diarrhea are many. A separate group - diarrhea, arising as a result of intestinal disease:
- The response to a bacterial infection, worms, fungi, protozoa;
- Inflammatory processes in the intestine;
- Bowel oncology;
- Response to neuropsychic irritation;
- Impaired intestinal fermentation;
- Postoperative reactions (as a result of resection of the stomach or intestines);
- Reaction to severe poisoning;
- The result of antibiotic therapy;
- Allergic reaction, expressed in such an unpleasant form.
Chronic diseases occurring in the body, lead to prolonged disorders of the chair. Loose stools, but not diarrhea, in an adult can occur for various reasons:
- Diseases of the stomach - gastritis, ulcers, resection, oncology lead to prolonged diarrhea;
- Cystic fibrosis, diseases of the pancreas also make themselves known by a long-term disorder of the chair;
- Liver diseases - cirrhosis, hepatitis, tumor provoke diarrhea;
- Diabetes mellitus, dysfunction of the pancreas - another cause of prolonged diarrhea;
- The cause of violations of caloric formation are severe violations of metabolic processes.
What can be said about the nature of loose stools?
- Infectious diseases are characterized by large amounts of water in the feces. The stool may have a characteristic greenish color;
- Chronic bowel disease leads to prolonged loose stools. But if it has a rich black color, which is not associated with the food consumed, then perhaps it is about internal bleeding;
- A light liquid stool once a day in an adult speaks of a lesion of the small intestine (primary). The chair has a clay consistency and is very rich. In contrast, the defeat of the end portion of the small intestine is characterized by a reusable, liquid, frothy stool that is colored bright yellow.
Treatment of loose stools in an adult
Since prolonged loose stools is only a symptom, it is necessary to treat the cause, the disease that provoked indigestion. The main measure for frequent liquid stool is the prevention of dehydration and the replenishment of the body with salts leached from the body. A good result shows the use of enterosorbents.-
Prescribing medications that stop diarrhea is not a solution, since in this case it is about healing, the cause of the diarrhea will not be eliminated.
It is necessary to consider whether liquid stools are the cause of the food eaten the day before. If the stool is liquid, but does not cause discomfort, then it is quite likely that there is no talk about any pathological processes in the body. But if this disorder is observed for a long time, accompanied by pain, dyspepsia, the stool contains mucus, foams, has a pungent smell or an unusual color, then you shouldn’t delay with the examination.
- Flatulence, foam stool indicates the intensification of fermentation processes in the intestine. They are provoked by food rich in carbohydrates. It is necessary to revise the diet, exclude products that include yeast, as well as reduce the amount of consumed fruits and vegetables;
- The causes of mucus in the feces quite a lot. The simplest option is excessive consumption of foods that provoke the formation of mucus: cereals, vegetables, and greens. In addition, mucus, bloating may indicate dysbiosis, cracks in the intestine, ulcerative colitis, bacterial infection, or be a manifestation of irritable bowel syndrome. Mucus can be a reaction to a course of antibiotics;
- The appearance of blood interspersions in the stool is a serious reason to consult a doctor. Scarlet, fresh blood indicates the presence of cracks in the anus, in this case, consultation of the proctologist is required, the dark color of the feces may indicate internal bleeding
Patient examination program
- To begin with, the doctor examines complaints from the patient, traces the possible connection between the liquid stool and the food consumed, other factors that can provoke a disorder in the chair;
- The collected history allows to establish the duration of the disease, the presence or absence of a hereditary factor;
- Examination of the patient will allow to compare the long liquid stool with other manifestations of the clinical picture;
- Laboratory tests of feces will assess its composition, which largely depends on the work of the digestive tract, enzymatic reactions occurring in the body;
- In order to exclude fermentopathies, special tests are carried out;
- To clarify the picture, eliminate bleeding, intestinal tumors and internal organs will help research: endoscopic, ultrasound, X-ray and others;
- Colonoscopy is a method for examining the colon with a probe. During its holding specialist takes samples for biopsy of the colon. This method allows the most complete diagnosis of pathological processes occurring in the intestine, including malignant neoplasms.
Liquid stool in an adult who does not pass for a long time does not necessarily indicate a serious illness. The cause of this disorder can only be diagnosed by a doctor. In some cases, treatment is limited to adjusting the diet, in others - prescribing medications. The most important thing is to exclude the development of serious, life-threatening pathologies, to diagnose them in a timely manner.
Some people live for a long time with such a delicate problem, not taking any measures. If serious diseases are excluded from the possible causes of loose stools, and the process itself is not accompanied by pain or discomfort, then you can adapt to the rhythm of bowel movements, without making tragedy out of it.