There is nothing worse when children get sick. Especially babies who still do not know how to speak and just cry from feeling sick. Loving parents will strive to do everything for their sick baby so that only he recovers, but the most correct decision in such cases is to consult a doctor and carefully monitor the treatment. Especially if your child is prescribed an antibiotic, which includes Augmentin.
Antibiotics are considered “extreme remedies,” as they kill not only the infection, but also the “good” bacteria that the human body needs. Use them with caution.
Augmentin: instructions for use for children
Suspension, pills, syrup are the main forms of release of this medicine. To be precise, the suspension is made from powder, which is commercially available. Tablets can be not only ordinary, but also coated with a shell, which dissolves in the stomach, providing a gradual intake of Augmentin into the body. Injection powder is also sold, but it is usually used for adults and children over 12 years old.
The Augmentina's country of manufacture is the United Kingdom, and the price of the medicinal product is not exorbitant - depending on the form of release and dosage, the package can cost 200-500 rubles.
The chemical composition of Augmentin involves 2 main active ingredients - amoxicillin and clavulanic acid, as well as auxiliary substances. Amoxicillin is a broad-spectrum antibiotic, which, however, can be destroyed in the human body by the action of certain substances. Clavulanic acid acts as a kind of "shield" for amoxicillin, that is, it does not allow these substances to destroy it. Due to this combination, the drug is highly effective.
Optimally Augmentin must be taken before meals - it is absorbed from the digestive tract and excreted from the body through the kidneys and in the form of carbon dioxide during exhalation.
The drug is prescribed not only for children but also for adults. Indications for use are as follows:
- ENT infections (bronchitis, tracheitis, etc.);
- oral infections;
- infections of the genitourinary system;
- gynecological infections;
- infections affecting the skin, bone and soft tissue;
- infections developing after surgery.
In addition, Augmentin is often used before prophylactic operations (usually in the form of injections).
If a doctor prescribes an antibiotic to your baby, carefully read the instructions for him. Antibiotic treatment causes a serious blow to the intestinal microflora and can cause other side effects.
Negative side effects of Augmentin:
- Candidiasis (thrush). Can pour on the skin and mucous membranes. Symptomatic treatment is required.
- Diarrhea. Especially often a similar side effect overtakes children under 2 years of age who are prescribed Augmentin. That is why it is recommended to take Augmentin in combination with probiotics, such as Linex. If the doctor prescribed Augmentin to your baby and didn’t clarify the need for taking probiotics, focus his attention on this.
- Nausea and vomiting. These symptoms usually indicate that the prescribed dose is too high for the child. Immediate consultation with a doctor is necessary regarding dose reduction.
- Hives. Symptomatic treatment is required.
- Less commonly - headaches and dizziness.
Any drug is not suitable for everyone. Augmentin also has a number of contraindications. So, since it is an antibiotic of the penicillin and cephalosporin groups, it is strictly forbidden for patients with allergies to these groups. Also, in all forms of release, it is forbidden to take Augmentin to patients who have recently had jaundice or have any other liver disease.-
There are contraindications for receiving oral suspension. First of all, it is phenylketonuria (PKU). If a patient suffers from kidney disease, before assigning him Augmentin, it is necessary to take a Reberg test - if the reading is less than 30 ml / min, the use of the drug is prohibited.
There is no reliable data on the effect Augmentin exerts on the body of children under 2 months. Actually, doctors rarely prescribe this drug to children whose age is less than 3 months, but if such a need arises, it is very important to first test for tolerance of the drug to the child’s body.
As for the reception of Augmentin during pregnancy and lactation, there are no categorical indications, all individually, that is, consultation with a doctor is necessary. Augmentin is able to enter the mother's milk and penetrate the placental membrane. Accordingly, if a nursing mother takes Augmentin, then the baby can sometimes have diarrhea or urticaria. Little is known about the negative effects of the drug on the fetus. In rare cases, Augmentin's use during pregnancy can lead to enterocolitis in the newborn. Doctors prescribe the drug from the second trimester of pregnancy, but the appointment in the first trimester will be justified only if the real benefits outweigh the possible risks to the fetus.
The dosage is calculated by the doctor based on the age and weight of the child. If the baby is less than 2 months old, medication is possible only in the hospital under the supervision of a pediatrician, and the grounds for taking Augmentin should be vital.
Children under the age of two years the pediatrician also calculates the dosage. For example, the doctor may prescribe a suspension of not more than 5 ml 2 times a day (every 12 hours) to a one-year-old child. Preschool children older than two years old and weighing from 13 to 20 kg suspension in the same amount is prescribed to receive 3 times a day, if the disease is severe, the dose is doubled (that is, up to 10 ml). Children of primary school age weighing 21-40 kg take 10 ml of suspension 3 times a day.
Children over 12 years old and (or) with a mass of more than 40 kg are treated the same as adults.
Augmentin has a number of analogs in the price range from 300 to 1,500 rubles, among them the popular Amoxiclav drug from Slovenia and the domestic Ecoclav and Arlet. Also among the analogues are Tetraklav, Betaklav, Medoklav and Klavamitin. However, consumers often choose Augmentin not only because of its quality, but also because of its attractive price.
Most often, Augmentin is prescribed for children with otitis, bronchitis, sore throat and other ENT diseases. Reviews of the drug most often positive.
- Katarinka:I heard that Augmentin is better than other analogues, because its action is the most studied and all that. The only thing is that it needs to be properly stored, the diluted suspension should be kept only in the refrigerator for no longer than 7 days and not allowed to freeze. My sister works in a children's hospital and says that when Augmentin is prescribed for pneumonia in children, the temperature drops, the pain disappears faster. They themselves were treated by Augmentin for sore throat, my daughter is 5 years old, only positive impressions.
- Lena:The doctor prescribed us Augmentin for bronchitis, but on the second day my son started to have a tummy ache, and no Hilak forte and Linex helped ... my son was very allergic ... We went to the doctor again, appointed Sumamed instead of Augmentin, helped. In general, the tool is not for everyone.
- Nadia:Very good tool! And inexpensive! They drank 2 times with otitis, the baby was relieved the very next day! They drank together with Linex so that the tummy did not hurt, and everything was fine!
- Tanya:Very effective antibiotic. We took it together with Bifiform from sore throat. But in order to act, you need to drink a course, at least 5 days.
In conclusion, it is worth noting that Augmentin suspension for children is also popular because it has a pleasant taste. You yourself know how hard it is to persuade a baby to eat or drink something bitter. Augmentin tastes more like compote, and children are more willing to go for treatment. Try not to hurt, but if it really happened, perhaps Augmentin will be the solution for your baby.