When a person is sick with something, he tries to find for himself the best medicine that will help alleviate the situation or lead to complete recovery. To date, you can find a lot of drugs, both domestic and foreign, used in bronchial asthma. One of the best is atrovent.
Description of the drug: composition, indications, contraindications
Atrovent is a medicine prescribed for bronchial asthma in order to block a spasm. The latter can be caused by a breath of cold air or cigarette smoke, a vagus nerve, or as a side effect of a drug.
Atrovent can be in the following form:
- Aerosol, which is used to inject into the nose;
- Aerosol, which is used for inhalation;
- Solution for inhalation;
- Powder, with which also conduct inhalation.
Each form incorporates ipratropium bromide and differs only in the state of aggregation and ease of use for a specific patient.
Atrovent for inhalation is used in the following cases:
- Any type of chronic lung disease;
- Bronchial asthma.
But do not experiment and use this drug if you:
- Do not carry the ingredients that this medicine contains (in particular atropine, ipratropium bromide);
- Suffer from the following diseases:
- closed angle glaucoma;
- urinary tract;
- prostate gland.
Also, this drug is not recommended for women who are expecting a child, and children under 6 years. However, for small patients, you can use the solution for inhalation.
Side Effects and Tips from Doctors
Like any other drug, Atrovent has side effects:
- Disruption of the stomach;
- Urinary retention;
- Paradoxical bronchospasm;
- Allergies are possible.
If the aerosolatrovent falls into the eye, the pupil will expand and the eye pressure will become high. In this case, you must immediately use the drops, which narrow the pupil, contact the appropriate specialist.
However, all these side effects can be avoided if you consult with your doctor and carefully read the instructions. And you should also listen to the advice from doctors:
- It is not recommended to stop this sudden attack with this drug;
- Do not increase the dose yourself, if the improvement from inhalation does not occur or additional symptoms appear. With this picture, you should contact your doctor;
- If you are doing a combined inhalation, you can add only the following drugs: Berotekom, Ambroxol, Bromhexine;
- Watch carefully so that the drug does not fall into the eyes;
- Learn to use atrovent correctly and keep in mind that it is better to use nebulizers with a mouthpiece for inhalation.
How to use atrovent?
Instructions for use atrovent aerosol is quite easy to use:
- Before the injection, take the medicine bottle and press it 2 times to form an aerosol cloud;
- Remove the cover;
- Exhale deeply and slowly;
- Take the bottle in your mouth, with the tip must be covered by the lips, and the bottom should be towards the top;
- At the same time, take a deep breath and make the first injection. Then you need to remove the aerosol and exhale, and then repeat pressing again - this will be the second dose of medication.
- Close the lid.
Remember, if you have not used atrovent for more than 3 days, then before applying you should follow rule one.
The solution for inhalation in its application differs from the aerosol. For the treatment to be correct and effective, you need to decide on the dose of the drug:
- If the treatment is supportive:
- Children under 6 years old - 0.4-1 ml 3-4 times a day;
- Children from 6 to 12 years old - 1 ml 3-4 times a day;
- Children over 12 years old and adults - 2 ml 3-4 times a day.
- If treatment is used for acute spasm, then the number of ml remains the same for each category of patients, but the frequency of administration is adjusted individually for each patient by the doctor.
The required dose of atrovent must be diluted with a physiological raster until a total volume of 4 ml is reached, then it is placed in a nebulizer and the procedure is done.
The duration of inhalation depends on the end of the solution volume.
As for the atrovent in the form of powder, it can be used only if you have special equipment - a nebulizer. To do this, put the capsule in an inhaler, then pierce it and you can breathe. The procedure is recommended 3-4 times a day until the end of the capsule.
Atrovent for inhalation or in the form of an aerosol is one of the best remedies for bronchial asthma. However, prior to use, the composition, indications, contraindications and side effects should be examined. And also it is necessary to consult with the doctor, only he will be able to evaluate the overall picture and say whether it is worth using atrovent in your particular case.