Pain and abnormality of tests from the norm - this is just a symptom, which can be characteristic of many pathologies. To determine the "root of evil" must pass the diagnosis. It is necessary to guard, if during the tests found fluid in the abdominal cavity. The reasons for such a deviation in women can be associated with serious problems.
The accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity is called ascites. Its development requires an urgent examination and diagnosis. A serious problem is even a small accumulation of free fluid, and in some cases its volume reaches 20-25 liters. Ascites, especially in women, is a disease quite rare, but very dangerous. Treatment predictions, the complexity of solving the problem depends on the specific cause of fluid accumulation.
Symptoms and diagnosis
This disease can occur both suddenly and gradually. A small amount of accumulated fluid (up to 1 l) may not appear at all. The most common signs of ascites in women are:
- pain in the abdomen, an increase in its volume;
- sharp weight gain;
- flatulence, belching, nausea;
- severe shortness of breath when walking;
- hard to tilt the body;
- swelling (mostly on the legs).
If there is too much fluid, the abdomen becomes swollen and becomes huge (as in pregnant women in the later periods), stretch marks appear. Possible vomiting, nausea, yellowing of the proteins of the eyes (due to the load on the liver).
- examination of the patient;
- Abdominal ultrasound;
- X-ray (allows you to detect a liquid whose volume exceeds 0.5 liters);
- blood test, urine;
What triggers fluid accumulation?
The most common causes of abdominal ascites (characteristic of both men and women):-
- cirrhosis of the liver - 85% of cases. In this case, ascites acts as a serious complication, accompanied by the development of umbilical hernia, varicose veins. Surgery is often the only method of normalizing the patient's condition.
- other liver diseases (viral hepatitis, cancers).
- oncological diseases (of any localization) - 10%.
- infectious diseases (among them, fluid accumulation most often causes tuberculosis);
- kidney disease (amyloidosis, renal failure and other diseases with nephrotic syndrome);
- cardiovascular diseases (congenital or acquired heart defects, heart attack).
- malfunction of the circulatory system;
- lymphogranulomatosis - cancer of the lymphatic system;
- gastrointestinal diseases in the acute stage (pancreatitis, intestinal tumors).
Ascites is associated with impaired electrolyte and water balance in the body. Its causes, as a rule, are of a general nature - they are found as in representatives of both sexes. Specific causes of fluid in the abdominal cavity in women are diseases of the reproductive sphere. Most often, fluid accumulates in the presence of cysts or tumors in the ovaries.
Treatment of abdominal ascites depends on the reasons that led to the accumulation of fluid in this place. Not curing the disease itself, you can get rid of it only for a while. In general, a gradual decrease in the amount of liquid is provided by conservative methods.
The main therapeutic measures:
- diet. With ascites, it is aimed at reducing the amount of salt in the diet, and in severe cases - at completely abandoning it. In addition, it is unacceptable to use pastries, smoked meats and fatty dishes (especially fried). Permitted products: lean meat (beef, chicken), porridge on the water, vegetables and fruits (raw and steamed);
- diuretic drugs. Most often, doctors prescribe spironolactone with furosemide. The dose is selected depending on the patient's body weight. Independently assign yourself diuretics and can not take them. In the presence of malignant tumors, the use of these drugs to reduce the volume of fluid is ineffective;
- Laparocentesis - a procedure that allows you to remove all the fluid from the abdominal cavity. Appointed with a large amount of it. Before the procedure, the patient must completely empty the bladder. Trocar is used as anesthesia (local). The doctor makes a puncture 2 cm below the navel, and gradually the fluid is removed. Do laparocentesis in several procedures.
Ascites is a rare occurrence. If you suspect that he is going to see a doctor, it is obligatory, because even a small accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity is a sign of a serious pathology. It is imperative to diagnose the cause of ascites: the success of further treatment depends on this.