Oven baked salmon steaks are fast, tasty and great even for meeting unexpected guests. In haste, the fish can be marinated in the juice of any citrus or olive oil with herbs, add potatoes and carrots to the side dish, spicy herbs as a flavor.
More complex dishes based on salmon may involve the use of wine, nuts, dried fruit, separate preparation of each part - the base, side dish, sauce. What you need to know, going to bake in the oven salmon with potatoes or other additions?
How tasty to bake fish?
Garnish options for fish are more varied than for meat - they can be any cereal, as well as mushrooms and all kinds of vegetables. The most preferred professionals call rice (wild, brown), couscous, barley grits, as well as beans, cucumbers, zucchini, peppers and tomatoes, broccoli. In this case, the garnish can be of any kind: from grilled components to stewed or steamed.
- Despite the fact that salmon belongs to the category of fatty fish, it is also quite easy to overdry. To make the fish juicy and tender, it is cooked in a foil or container with a lid. Additionally, you can seal the joints with a simple dough of water and flour to prevent hot humid air from escaping.
- After the salmon has been steamed and ready, the lid is removed, or the foil is unrolled, and on the grill mode it is given a golden brown crust. You can do otherwise - first fry the fish in hot olive oil on both sides, and then send it to the preheated oven: in this case, the baking time will be reduced, because it will be half cooked. And even more distinct crust can be obtained if pre-breaded salmon.
As for the various sauces and marinades, the fish - in general, the product is extremely versatile and allows you to combine it with almost any component. However, leading experts in the field of cooking believe that each group of fish has its own characteristics, therefore, for example, its oily species need to be seasoned on the basis of orange juice with spices and oil.
- Universal citrus marinade for salmon and tuna - 70 ml of fresh orange juice, 1 tbsp. corn oil, a pinch of ground ginger. The ingredients are whipped in a ceramic bowl, then infused for 50-60 minutes.
- Cream sauce is the most popular option not only for salmon, but also for any seafood: it needs cream with a fat content of 20%, flour and butter 82% fat. For every 100 ml of cream there are 1 tsp. butter and flour. Heat butter in a frying pan, sprinkle flour on it, and then inject cold (this is important!) Cream and crucify at low power until thick. Professionals advise at the last moment to pour a pinch of nutmeg.
- Honey-mustard marinade is often cooked for meat, but it also goes well with salmon: for this, take 30 g of liquid honey, 1 tsp. mustard seeds, a pinch of mint and oregano. The components need to be heated and left for 1 hour to completely mix their tastes. If honey is candied, it is better to pickle fish after re-heating the mixture, otherwise it will be difficult to distribute it over the surface.
An important nuance - do not prepare the sauce or marinade in a metal and plastic container: choose glass or ceramics, since they do not oxidize and do not modify the taste of the finished mixture. If there is no time to pick up the ingredients, you can use the ready-made store option: soy sauce or even berry (lingonberries with apples goes with any dish), or white wine, olive oil. Pickling time of salmon before transferring it in foil or baking dish is 1-2 hours.
Baked salmon: a recipe with photos
The most traditional combination for a hearty lunch is potatoes and meat. However, the latter is easy to replace with fish - this will make the dish less heavy for the body and more convenient for dietary nutrition. It is easy to make baked salmon with potatoes, and to add variety to a tandem that has long been too simple, you should choose an interesting sauce or marinade and slightly modify the side dish. From the number of ingredients listed below, there are 2-3 servings, depending on the size of the fish.
- Salmon - 1/2 carcass
- Young potatoes, medium-sized - 14 pcs.
- Cucumber long-fruited - 2-3 pcs.
- Onion - 1 pc.
- Sour cream (15% fat or more) - 2 tbsp.
- Butter (82% fat) - 70 g
- Olive oil - 1 tbsp.
- Chives - 2-3 feathers
- Dill - 1 sprig
- Hot red pepper - 1 pc.
- Spices and seasonings to taste
- If you take whole fish, divide it so that you get 2 long formations, remove the bones and rinse well in cold running water. If you purchased a frozen and cleaned carcass, it should also be washed and allowed to dry. Remove residual moisture with a paper towel with blotting motions. Salt lightly salmon and leave for 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, put the soft butter, chopped onion feather and the same crushed pod of red pepper. Tear off a sprig of dill in a bowl. If desired, the oil can be replaced with thick cream or even cottage cheese. Mash and mix all the ingredients with a fork, start spreading on the dried fish carcass so that later you get a very thin layer that completely covers it.
- Turn on the oven to warm up to 180 degrees: at this time, the salmon will wait a little longer, absorbing some of the oil and greens. If you want to use some kind of seasoning, sprinkle them over the oil-herbal layer.
- Wrap the fish in foil, trying not to leave voids, put in a deep Teflon or glass dish, send in the oven. The approximate baking time is 30-40 minutes, but it can be changed according to the power of your oven and the thickness of the carcass.
- While the salmon is baking, chop the onion, heat the olive oil in a deep pan and drop the onion into it. Pass on medium power for 2-3 minutes.
- Peel the cucumbers, remove the core with the seeds from them, if they are dense enough, cut them into large half rings and discard them with onions. Add sour cream, cover and stew for 4-5 minutes. over low heat. Cucumbers should not be completely softened. If desired, you can at the very end add here a little chopped dill.
- Wash and peel the potatoes, cut in halves. Heat olive oil in a pan, put the potatoes in it, fry until golden brown on medium power. To make the product completely baked, first hold it under the lid for 15-20 minutes, and then remove it and increase the heat. Frying time depends on the age of the tubers and the size of the pieces.
Serve baked in the oven in foil salmon recommended portions, cut into the desired number of flat pieces. Put a few halves of fried potatoes to it, and cucumbers stewed with onions can be laid out in a separate small bowl for sauces. An ideal drink for such a dish would be dry white wine.
Exotic Salmon Recipe with Nuts
If you need to figure out something for a festive dinner, spicy fish with a barely perceptible sweetish flavor and crisp crust, which is achieved by mixing nuts, honey and white wine, can be an excellent way out. From the indicated number of ingredients, 2-3 servings are obtained.
- Salmon (steaks or carcass) - 800 g
- Lemon - 1 pc.
- Liquid honey - 3 tbsp.
- Sesame oil - 1 tsp.
- Nuts - 50 g
- Basil - 2-3 sprigs
- Spicy herbs - 1 tsp
- White wine - 20 ml
- Crush chopped nuts in a blender or coffee grinder, mix with honey, butter, wine and herbs, leave for 20-30 minutes.
- Rinse the fish, peel and divide into 2-3 equal parts, pat dry with paper towels, sprinkle with lemon juice. Temporarily put the remaining half in the fridge, preventing it from withering.
- After 30 minutes pour the honey-marinade over the fish, wrap in foil and send to the oven. Approximate roasting time - 45 minutes.
Before serving, cut slices of lemon, spread on salmon, garnish with basil sprigs. Absolutely any vegetables can serve as a side dish, but professionals advise to choose zucchini, green beans or bell peppers.
Finally, it is worth saying that if you are worried about your body shape and do not want to increase the fat content of an already not “skinny” fish, discard butter and sour cream, and do not add salt. Sprinkle the steak or carcass with lemon juice, let it soak the salmon for 20-30 minutes. And be sure to cook in a closed space: foil, a form with a lid.