Few know this spice under this name. To some, it will even seem unfamiliar. But at the word "oregano," everyone nods their heads together in a token of approval, because this seasoning has a place in every home and every kitchen.
One of the Greek legends is associated with the plant. Zeus was nursed with milk from Amolfei, a divine goat who ate oregano and honey made from the nectar of this plant. She grew up on Mount Dikta. And if you recall the mythology, Zeus - the most powerful of the gods, who owned the whole world.
The word "Oregano" can be translated from Greek as "the joy of the mountains."The first mention of the spice appeared in the first century AD. in ancient Egypt and Greece, it was actively eaten, combined with vegetables, meat, fish, and wine.
Oregano has a pleasant aroma and a spicy, slightly bitter taste. It perfectly stimulates the appetite and facilitates digestion. More recently, scientists have discovered a very important component that is in oregano. The composition of this plant is carvacrol - essential oil, which is more effective than any antibiotics. Therefore, oregano can be trusted not only your digestion.
The use of oregano in cooking
Leaves and flower buds are used in cooking.. Oregano is especially popular in the Mediterranean cuisine. It is added to pasta, dishes with mushrooms, cheese, tomatoes. It is perfect for soups, hot sandwiches, as well as chicken dishes.
Oregano is ideal for ham, salads and all sorts of fish sauces. You can safely add oregano to dishes with potatoes and various omelets. As for adjacent spices, oregano can be combined with basil, marjoram, thyme and pepper.-
If you grow and collect spices by hand or plan to do this, remember one rule!Dry oregano should be stored in a tightly closed container and in a dark place for no more than two months.
Roast Chicken with Orange, Honey and Herbs
- In a mortar, chop one grated orange and lemon zest, 3 cloves of garlic and 1 teaspoon of cumin.
- Add orange juice, 2 tablespoons of honey, a spoon of olive oil, a teaspoon of mint and the same amount of oregano.
- Chicken - one and a half kilograms (better to take a shin), pour the resulting marinade, thoroughly soak the meat, let it marinate for an hour in the refrigerator.
- Next, preheat the oven to 220 degrees. In a baking dish, pre-lubricated, place the chicken. Top with a handful of black olives and one onion, cut into 4 pieces. Bake for an hour.
Egg roll with curd, tomatoes and oregano
- Boil 2 tomatoes in boiling water and remove the peel. Remove the pulp, cut into small pieces and fry for half a minute in vegetable oil. After that, put in a clean plate.
- Now go to the test for an omelet. In a blender, mix 100 grams of cottage cheese, 2 tablespoons of flour, 4 eggs, a tablespoon of cream and pepper with salt.
- Next, fry in the pan on both sides of this very "pancake" until it turns rosy.
- Put the tomatoes on the roll with the juice, sprinkle liberally with oregano and start spinning. Take care of your fingers!
- In a pan, fry the roll, give it shape. And after all the manipulations can be shifted on a plate, cut and serve households. Have a nice breakfast!
Contraindications on the use of oregano
First you need to give up the spice of pregnant. Oregano can cause uterine contractions and termination of pregnancy. This is a female herb, it has been used in Russia since ancient times to cause menstruation. It is because of its excessive "femininity" that Oregano is better not to abuse men. This leads to sexual impotence.
Also it is undesirable to eat oregano, use broths and infusions for people with cardiovascular problems. Increased acidity of the stomach, ulcers, renal colic, hypertension - this is a list of ailments in which it is necessary to limit the use of spices in all forms and forms.
This plant, although it is called differently, is misleading a large number of people, it remains loved and in demand. And under whatever name you do not know it, feel free to buy and apply in their culinary masterpieces. Yes, it is in the masterpieces, because with the oregano in another way simply will not work!
Especially for womeninahomeoffice.com.ru - Anna