The medlar grows predominantly in warm climates. The fruit shrub not only has a beautiful appearance, but also pleases with tasty fruits. Usually the crop is harvested in autumn, in October. Loquat is incredibly useful. It is eaten raw, boiled from the fruit jam. Use shrubs and traditional medicine.
Medlar: how to eat?
Medlar fruits are somewhat similar to apricots. They have a spherical shape and yellow-orange color. The surface of the fruit is covered with a small down. Under the skin - sweet flesh and a few bones. Unripe berries usually have a sour taste that passes as they ripen. By taste, medlar resembles marack. The pulp is eaten, and the bones are thrown away. The most delicious fruits are obtained by holding them longer in a tree. They become reddish in color. The flesh of such fruits becomes sweeter, and the flavor is even more pronounced.
By the way, the loquat can be stored for a long time. To do this, it is washed in brine and thoroughly dried. The juice of medlar berries is quite concentrated. Therefore, it is recommended to dilute it with water and add sugar to taste.
However, the medlar can not be eaten by everyone Unripe berries are contraindicated for people with digestive problems, ulcers, gastritis and increased acidity of the stomach. With care it is necessary to give berries to small children. Allergies are possible. Therefore, the medlar should be gradually included in the diet of babies.
Medlar: useful properties
- Medlar has many beneficial properties. By chemical composition, it is similar to apples and zucchini. The fruit contains malic acid, pectin, vitamin C.
- The composition of the medlar allows diabetics to eat it. It can also help with indigestion. This action is explained by the presence in the fruit composition of tannins, known for their fixing action. When diarrhea, it is enough to eat some berries, and after some time the problem will be solved.
- In folk medicine, there are many recipes for treating medlar juice health problems. It has a good effect on the nervous system and blood vessels. Berries normalize blood pressure.
- These are not all the beneficial properties of the loquat. Shrub leaves also have a healing effect. Of these, the broth is most often prepared. It helps fight colds and coughs. Also, a decoction of the leaves of medlar can stop the blood.
- For medicinal purposes, the leaves are harvested from spring to late summer (May-August).
- Medicinal decoction is easy to prepare at home. For this, 1 tbsp. Raw materials need to brew 250 ml boiling water and let it brew.
- The medlar is low in calories (about 45 kcal. Per 100 grams), so you can eat it during the diet.
- Berries are actively used in cosmetology. They are part of cosmetics for sensitive skin. The extract of the fruit of this tropical shrub moisturize it, make it radiant, fresh and well-groomed. Usually medlar is contained in lotions, creams, tonics. You can independently add to the cream extract from the leaves of the shrub. To make it, dry leaves are filled with hot water. The mixture is boiled for 5 minutes. The broth is cooled and filtered.
- Medlar make marmalade, compotes, juices. For the winter berries are harvested in the form of jam and jams.
- Medlar berries - 1 kg.
- Sugar - 350 gr.
- Cinnamon - 1 stick
- Berries are sorted, doused with boiling water and extracted bones. Peel off the fruit, put them in pans.
- Boil until softened. Add sugar, stirring and bring to a boil. Put cinnamon in jam.
- Cook over low heat until thick. Put the jam in a glass jar. Close the lid.
- Medlar fruits - 1 kg.
- Water - 1l.
- Sugar - to taste
- Bones are removed from the berries, placed in a saucepan and filled with water. The mixture is brought to a boil, sugar is added.
- Berries boil to a soft state on a small fire. Next, the mass is filtered through a sieve.
- The resulting mixture is brought to a boil and poured into glass containers. Medlar juice with pulp is ready!
Medlar bones: application
It is said that a small amount of cyanide is contained in the stones of the medlar. Therefore, it is not recommended to store the jam with the stones of these berries for too long. This does not mean that they themselves are deadly.
Medlar bones are like persimmon bones. Often they make a coffee drink. It is pleasant enough to your taste and resembles real coffee in some way.
Medlar is a delicious berry. In its ripe form, it has a sweet taste and juicy flesh. It is eaten not only because of its wonderful taste, but also because of its beneficial properties. Fruits normalize pressure, help with diarrhea, are used to improve the condition of the skin and moisturize it. From medlar boiled compotes, jams and jams for the winter.