Potatoes - a product that is part of a variety of dishes. For the preparation of cold snacks, it is better to cook it unpeeled, as they say, in uniform. How much to cook potatoes in their skins so that they are not raw and not boiled soft?
How much should I boil potatoes in my uniform, and what does the cooking time depend on?
It would seem that it could be easier than boiling potatoes in a uniform? However, there are some nuances. For this purpose you can not use any potatoes. It is best to cook in a uniform fit tubers with a smooth surface and a minimum of eyes. The peel must be flawless and without dark spots. If you notice a green tint on the peel, this is a sure sign of vegetable aging.
Potatoes must be firm to the touch. The soft core will quickly melt, and instead of a potato in your uniform you will get potato porridge. In addition, hard potatoes contain less starch, which, when cooked, ensures its integrity, and also increases its beneficial properties. And one more thing: for all potatoes to be boiled at the same time, the tubers should be approximately the same size.
How much to boil the potatoes in the jacket after boiling depends on the size of the tubers: the larger they are, the longer they cook. Also, the cooking time depends on the thickness of the peel, which is thicker the longer the potato is stored. Young potatoes cooked faster than the old.
- Before placing the tubers in the cooking pot, they should be thoroughly cleaned of adhering soil and washed under running water using a soft brush.
- After that, we put the potatoes in a saucepan, pour cold water into it to completely cover the tubers, lightly add some salt (a pinch of salt, not more) and put it on the stove.
- Pay attention: the potatoes are laid not in boiling water, but in cold water, so that the tubers are heated and boiled evenly.
- When the water boils, we continue the process of cooking on low fire. We monitor the liquid level so that the potato is always in the water. If necessary, it can be topped up.
How many minutes to cook potatoes in their uniform, depends on the size of the tubers. Wait for readiness will have from 30 to 45 minutes:
- walnut-sized tubers are boiled for 20 minutes;
- about the size of a chicken egg - 30 minutes;
- large potatoes - 45 min.
After the specified time, make sure your potatoes are ready. To do this, take a small knife and pierce the tip of any tuber. If the knife goes like clockwork, effortlessly, it's time to remove the pan from the stove and drain the hot water. In order for the potatoes to be well cleaned, after draining the hot water, place it briefly in the cold, but only it must remain warm. Peel the skin with a small knife or fork.
Cook potatoes "in clothes" using a slow cooker and pressure cooker
If your kitchen is equipped with such a miracle of technology as a slow cooker, then you can safely cook potatoes in a uniform with its help. To do this, use the double boiler mode. Cooked and selected potatoes can be cooked directly in a multi-cooker cup or use a steaming basket. Cooking time in both versions will be approximately the same - about half an hour.-
If you cook in a multi-bowl, then put the potatoes in it, pour water over the top level of the tubers, close the slow cooker, select the appropriate program and press the "Start" button.
But cooks recommend cooking potatoes for a couple. This is the most healthy way of cooking any vegetables. With this method of cooking products are much less affected by high temperature, so they contain more vitamins and trace elements.
To prepare steamed potatoes, we place the tubers in a basket and place them in a slow cooker above a container of water, which should be no more than 200-300 ml. In the double boiler mode, you can open the lid and check the readiness of potatoes.
And if you are sorely lacking time for cooking, use a pressure cooker and boil the potatoes in your uniform twice as fast - in 10-15 minutes:
- Pour water into the pressure cooker - 1.5-2 cm from the bottom.
- Lay on the dividing grid prepared potatoes so that they are steamed.
- Hermetically close the pressure cooker, set the time and wait for it to give a signal. How to check if the potatoes are ready, you already know.
How to cook potatoes in the microwave?
Potatoes in the uniform can be cooked in the microwave:
- Each raw potato prepared for cooking is pierced in two places with a fork.
- After that, place the tubers in a container for the microwave, add a little water, about 2-3 tablespoons of a dozen medium-sized potatoes, and a pinch of salt.
- Cover the container with a lid to avoid drying potato tubers, and place in the microwave for 4 minutes. at the highest power level microwave.
- After this time, open the container and turn the potatoes on the other side for uniform heat treatment.
- Return the container to the oven and turn it on for another 3-4 minutes. until ready. The whole process will take you 7-8 minutes.
We hope that everything will work out for you and you will delight your loved ones with an exquisite potato dish. Cook with pleasure!