Perlovka is known to everyone since kindergarten. And for some reason in the future, we meet with this side dish only in canteens catering, but in the home menu, this useful porridge appears very rarely. Perhaps, because not everyone knows: in the answer to the question of how to make barley on water, the proportions of the ingredients play a decisive role.
Why is it difficult to cook delicious barley?
In the minds of many, pearl barley is associated with a viscous mash of incomprehensible taste. All because cooked and prepared cereals wrong. The classic barley porridge recipe involves soaking the cereal for a day before cooking. Of course, this condition adds unnecessary trouble, so many housewives neglect it. But this is not the most flagrant violation of the technology of cooking porridge. Moreover, there are recipes for which it is not necessary to soak the grits at all. But the observance of the proportions of water and cereal during cooking is a key factor on which your porridge will be crumbly or viscous.
Preliminary preparation of cereals
To grains of pearl barley softened and cooked faster, grits must be soaked. In this case, the more hours it lies in the water, the better. But if this rule is known to almost everyone, then there are a number of nuances that are not taken into account by many cooks.
- In order for the pap turned out to be crumbly, it is necessary to free the grains from the husk. To do this, rinse the cereal several times with water. Moreover, during this manipulation, the barley should be rubbed - the remnants of the thin shell will wash out better and will not turn your porridge into a stuck together mass.
- If you do not have time for a long soak, you can pour boiling water over the grits in the ratio of 1: 4 and leave for 2-3 hours. Alternatively, the barley can be boiled for a few minutes and then allowed to cool and drain.
- Another way to soak pearl barley - use a thermos. The croup is filled with boiling water and after 1 hour is ready for cooking.
How to cook barley on water quickly?
If you soaked the barley for 12-14 hours, then for the preparation of porridge you need only 15-20 minutes.
- 1 tbsp. pearl barley;
- 4 tbsp. water;
- butter (to taste).
- Wash the soaked cereal thoroughly again.
- Pour water into a saucepan, bring to a boil and add a little oil.
- Pour the cereal and cook on low heat until softened (about 20 minutes).
- After the porridge is cooked, oil is added to it, salt and left to reach for 15 minutes. At this time, it is recommended to wrap the pot with a towel.
If you want the porridge to have a more viscous consistency, add not 4, but 3 tbsp. water.
Crumbly Porridge of Multicooker
Multicooker greatly facilitates the process of making barley porridge. First of all, the fact that it is not necessary to mix or follow it, so as not to burn. Although it is still better to soak the cereal before launching the multicooker program.
- 1 tbsp. washed barley;
- 3 tbsp. filtered water;
- Lubricate the bowl multicooker with a piece of butter.
- Fall asleep cereal, pour water.
- Close the lid and select the program "Buckwheat" for 45-50 minutes.
- After the end of the cooking time, salt and leave to reach for 10 minutes. Add oil to taste before serving.
If you cook porridge from packets, then it will take a little less time to soften the cereal - 35-40 minutes.
Quick recipe without soaking cereals
If you urgently need to prepare a side dish, then do not refuse the option to cook barley. Despite the recommendations of pre-soaking the grits, there are recipes that neglect this condition.
- 1 tbsp. barley;
- 5 tbsp. filtered water;
- salt, butter (to taste).
- We wash the croup well, grinding it in our fingers so that the husks leave it.
- Fill with some water for 10 minutes.
- Pour filtered water into a saucepan, bring to a boil and reduce the heat.
- Krupa fall asleep in a saucepan, give boil.
- Make a slow fire, add butter to porridge and weat it for 1 hour.
- 5 minutes before readiness we add salt, then remove from heat, wrap in a warm blanket or towel and give 30 minutes rest. Kashka is ready.
How to make barley on water tastier?
Crumbly and soft barley - a very tasty side dish for meat, fish and vegetable dishes. But if you add some ingredients to it, then as an independent dish, it will be just delicious. In particular, instead of butter, 2 tbsp can be added to porridge. l olive - then the barley will be even more useful and more tender. And some housewives steamed cereal in a thermos for the night (1 tablespoon. Cereals for 1 tablespoon of water) in order to enjoy a rich and very healthy breakfast in the morning, mixing it with dried fruit.
Cooking porridge is a special culinary talent. If you know in practice how to boil the barley on water, you can correct the proportions of the ingredients to your taste - this will not spoil the porridge. Just pay due attention to the preliminary preparation of cereals and do not forget to wash it. And remember that the less water you pour in, the more viscous the final product turns out.