Each hostess there is a special, signature dish, which can surprise both guests on a holiday, and households on weekdays. Often, such a masterpiece is something meat and very satisfying, for example, meatballs or meat balls with rice. How to cook meatballs with gravy in a pan or in the oven without much effort? What tricks will help make the dish better than in the most famous restaurant?
Delicious meatballs with gravy: recipe with photos step by step
The traditional technology involves the dense balls of meat, eggs, salt and flour. Serve such meatballs recommended with a salad of fresh vegetables, or potato-squash casserole. And you can make the fastest and easiest side dish, boiling spaghetti: the sauce is no longer needed, because there is an appetizing gravy.
- Pork - 700 g
- Onion - 2 pcs.
- Wheat flour 2 varieties - 1/2 Art.
- Salt - Pinch
- Egg - 1 pc.
- Carrots - 1 pc.
- Tomatoes - 2 pcs.
- Greens to taste
- Vegetable oil - 2-3 st.l.
- Dried garlic - 1 tsp
- Sour cream - 1 tbsp.
- If the stuffing is ready, the recipe is trimmed to pork, 1 onion, egg and 1/4 tbsp. flour. If not, the meat must be washed, cut into large chunks, thrown into a meat grinder and twisted 2-3 times to get a very homogeneous, tender mass.
- Chop the onion, beat the egg, combine with twisted pork, 1/4 tbsp. flour and a pinch of salt. If desired, you can add here any spices on your own. Form a stuffed stuffing into minced meat, break it into several pieces and roll up balls of walnut-sized or slightly larger ones.
- In a saucepan or frying pan with thick walls and high sides, heat the vegetable oil, pour the shredded onion into it, and leave for 3-4 minutes for the onion to become golden in color. At this time, peel and rub the carrots on the coarse side of the grater, chop the tomatoes. Throw the prepared vegetables into the pan, mix, cover with a lid.
- In 10 minutes. add the remaining flour and sour cream to the vegetables, again cover the pan with the lid, leave for 15-20 minutes, so that the sauce boils.
- After the specified time, put the meat balls in the pan, sprinkle with dried garlic and chopped greens, cover again. Cook over medium heat for 35-40 minutes.
How to cook meatballs with rice and gravy? Before kneading mince, stew or boil round grain rice (about 1/2 tbsp per 0.5 kg of meat), combine it with twisted meat and spices, as well as egg or grated potato. Especially delicious is the dish if boiled rice with a pinch of nutmeg and saffron.
Cooking meatballs with sauce in a pan: the advice of professionals
Even such a simple dish has a lot of nuances, playing with which you can get new unusual tastes. Special variety, of course, is seen in sauces, the basis for which are usually vegetables, but sometimes there are recipes with white wine and cream or mushrooms. Some modifications are possible with meat - for example, adding cereals for greater satiety of the dish.
- What kind of gravy to do with rice meatballs? Since rice is likely to be a side dish here, professionals advise that its taste be tinged with raisin sweetness. To do this, you need to sprinkle the flour in butter, chop up the steamed raisins, dump them into a frying pan and add 3-4 tbsp. rum or red wine. You can add a clove or cardamom.
- A more traditional gravy for meatballs is melted butter, in which the flour is roasted, and then some hot boiled water is added to it. The approximate ratio of the components is 1: 1: 2. It is important to make such a gravy until thickening, before laying meatballs in it.
- If you want to get fried balls from all sides, change the procedure: first put the meatballs in hot oil, fry on each side for 2-3 minutes, and only then add the gravy and simmer the dish under the lid. But in this situation, the sauce will have to be prepared separately, or turn to options that do not require heat treatment.
Meatballs with gravy - a terrific hearty dish, which can be a snack or main meal. It is suitable for almost any diet: removing the oil from the recipe and taking poultry meat instead of pork, you can get a dietary option. And adding mushrooms to the gravy will make the meatballs even more nutritious.