There is hardly a child who does not like crispy, fragrant french fries. Yes, and some adults do not mind sometimes allow yourself to eat perhaps not the most useful dish, but certainly very tasty. And in order to avoid any doubts about its quality, it is worth cooking the french fries yourself: it is easy to do it in the oven, and it will be easier than the one that is fried in deep fat, so that even those who follow body shape and health will like it.
Potato fries in the oven: a recipe with photos
Classic french fries from large fast food chains are prepared using salt and vegetable oil, and served with tomato paste. These ingredients are also included in the traditional recipe of the dish, but to create a more interesting flavor range, chefs suggest adding turmeric, due to which a wonderful golden hue will appear, as well as cumin. If you wish, you can replace it with any spice that appeals to you.
- Potatoes - 4-5 pcs.
- Olive oil - 1 tbsp.
- Turmeric - 1 tsp.
- Cumin - 1 tsp.
- Salt - Pinch
- Tomato paste - 30 ml
Wash the potatoes, peel, chop into thin long sticks (0.7 cm wide), spread out on a napkin or lattice with a tray at the bottom. Grate the bars with salt and leave them for 15-20 minutes.
In a bowl, combine olive oil and turmeric, mix, smoothly add 1 tsp here. tomato paste. The resulting mass to process all the potato bars, trying to make the layer is very thin.
Spread the potatoes on the parchment, sprinkle with cumin, put the baking sheet on the lower level of the oven heated to 180 degrees. In 20 minutes. raise to medium, do not change the temperature. The readiness of the dish is determined by a wooden stick and on its crust.
Serve the french fries prepared in the traditional recipe in the oven, recommended with greens, fresh salad or just a sauce of tomato paste and seasonings.
We bake potatoes without butter
Everyone agrees that french fries are not a dietary dish, and sometimes even a reduction in the amount of butter does not save it. Is it possible to do something to cook the french fries in the oven without oil and so on. Fats, which will give a crust? If we talk about low-calorie methods - it is unlikely, but it is quite possible to replace the oil with more interesting options. For example, on low-fat sour cream for impregnation and grated cheese for a crust.-
- Potatoes - 5-6 pcs.
- Medium soft cheese - 100 g
- Salt - Pinch
- Pepper white and pink - 1 tsp.
- Sour cream non-fat - 30 ml
- Potatoes must be washed, peeled, cut into bars and rinsed in a bowl with water, then dumped in a colander.
- While the main ingredient dries, the cheese is rubbed on the shallow side of the grater, and then crushed additionally with a knife. It is combined with sour cream, and the mixture is thoroughly kneaded to become homogeneous.
- Bars of potatoes are rubbed with salt and a mixture of peppers, dipped into a cheese-cream mass, which should cover each slice with a very thin layer, and are laid out on parchment.
- In a hot oven (180 degrees), french fries are baked until a golden crust appears, and if necessary, it can be strengthened by turning it on at the very end for 3-5 minutes. grill mode and increasing the temperature to 200 degrees. Serve recommended with sprigs of dill.
Cooking your favorite dish of protein
In most cases, french fries are cooked with butter, which explains such an attractive golden crust. However, the load on the pancreas ultimately turns out to be too high to often eat a similar dish. Without oil and other additives, unfortunately, not everyone likes potatoes, so you should pay attention to the recipe of french fries in the oven with protein, which also copes with the task of creating a crust, but lowers the fat content of the dish and almost does not harm the body. This is a great option for baby food.
- Potatoes - 7-8 pcs.
- Eggs (protein) - 3 pcs.
- Ground garlic - 1 tbsp.
- Salt - Pinch
- Potatoes are cleaned and washed under running water, then soaked in cold water for 1-1.5 hours. After that, cut into bars, whose thickness does not exceed 0.8-1 cm, and spread on a paper towel so that it is absorbed into itself is the main moisture.
- Egg whites with salt are mixed in a strong foam using a mixer, as they do to make meringue, then ground garlic is added in a thin stream while the mixture continues to beat.
- In the resulting foam "batter" you need to dip each potato bar, which immediately fits on the parchment made with parchment. Between the bars, it is desirable to keep small gaps - this will allow them to be fried as much as possible from all sides.
- At 190 degrees (without convection), the french fries in the oven is baked for 30-35 minutes, until the sticks have a golden brown color. The baking tray must be at an average level so that cooking is even.
To get a tasty dish, it is not enough just to find an interesting recipe - each of them has a number of subtleties, due to which different housewives will produce diametrically opposite results according to the same recipe. As for french fries in the oven, there are a few points that the chefs especially focus on.
- If you want to get a crisp with a soft core, do not immediately expose the heat of the oven: bake the potatoes at 170 degrees (without convection), and after 25-30 minutes. increase the power to 200 degrees and turn on the ventilation, leaving the potatoes for another 10-15 minutes.
- The most delicious french fries are obtained from new potatoes: it does not fall apart when baking, keeps its shape well, quickly acquires an attractive crust. In addition, young potatoes lack the bitterness inherent in the old tubers. True, this applies only to fully mature specimens, on which there is no greenery when skinning is removed.
- It is always necessary to put a baking tray with potato bars in a fully heated oven: otherwise it will be baked slowly, and instead of the desired french fries you will get just baked and carefully steamed potatoes in bricks.
- In order to preserve the crust, but to obtain a soft middle, some cooks recommend baking french fries in the oven not on parchment, but on foil, which also draws the bottom of the pan. This leads to the reflection of hot air, as well as the lack of moisture in the lower part of the bars, which is sometimes noted when working with parchment.
- The pretreatment of potatoes also influences how the dish turns out: they are soaked for no longer than 20-30 minutes to remove extra starch, but not soften. It is necessary to dry on a towel or napkin for at least 20 minutes to maximize the excess water. After processing the potato with tomato paste or butter, it should be baked immediately, otherwise the product will be saturated with liquid and the crust will not work anymore.
Potato fries in the oven is an excellent option if you like this delicacy, but you are concerned for your health. Even those recipes that involve the use of butter, carry much less harm than the traditional algorithm of cooking french fries in a pan, in a large amount of fat. And if you change the oil to egg white or soy sauce, you can get quite light, but hearty delicacy.