Recently, more and more dentists are talking about the harm caused by toothpastes, which include fluoride. How to choose the right care for your teeth? The list of toothpastes without fluoride is particularly small when compared with counterparts containing this chemical element. Let's take a look at it.
What causes excess fluoride in toothpaste?
Elements containing fluorine are called fluorides - they are of organic origin. A certain amount of them is contained in the crust, water and plants. In this case, fluorides are considered to be substances of the second degree of toxicity. It is due to this property that they kill harmful bacteria and microorganisms that are involved in the formation of caries. But besides this, fluorides also adversely affect the microflora of the oral cavity and, over time, thin the walls of the enamel.
With constant use of fluoride-based toothpaste, yellowish and brownish spots may appear on the teeth. This phenomenon in dentistry is called fluorosis. Over time, the teeth that are prone to this disease become more fragile, crumble, or even their complete loss.
To avoid such effects, fluoride toothpaste can be used no more than 1-2 times a week. Its one-time volume should not exceed the size of a small pearl. Not every adult can control the amount of toothpaste used, let alone young children. Many kids, tempted by strawberry flavor, are ready to eat toothpaste with spoons. In this regard, fluoride-containing pastes are prohibited for children under 5 years.
Also, the use of toothpastes, which include fluoride, should be limited to people living in places where there are many industrial enterprises.
Composition of pastes without fluoride
Most of the element such as fluoride enters the body by brushing your teeth, so it is recommended to use toothpastes based on herbs without fluoride.
Before buying, carefully study the composition of toothpaste. It should not include the following components:
- sodium lauryl sulfate;
- aluminum fluoride;
- tin fluoride.
Toothpaste "Splat": composition
Fluoride-free toothpastes contain active calcium and other auxiliary elements. Let us analyze the composition of such a paste on the example of the Russian brand Splat. So, its components are:-
- organic calcium;
- chamomile oil extract;
- potassium salts;
- zinc salts;
- hydroxyapatite and polydon.
Does not contain "Splat" fluorine, triclosan, chlorhexidine. Splat has such useful properties as neutralization of excess fluorine and resuscitation of enamel.
The most popular products for adults
The range of toothpastes without fluoride for adults are the following brands:
- Toothpaste brand Splat. Used for very sensitive teeth. Therapeutic and prophylactic properties of this toothpaste contribute to the thorough and careful whitening of enamel. Chamomile extract is an anti-inflammatory and soothing effect. Country of origin - Russia.
- Toothpaste brand "President". Dissolves plaque formed on the teeth, prevents the appearance of stone. A significant disadvantage is that it contains potassium salt, which contributes to the development of tooth sensitivity. Manufacturer - Italy.
- Toothpaste brand "Rocks". Effectively eliminates plaque, prevents the appearance and development of caries, neutralizes the acidic environment. The advantage of this toothpaste is a huge selection of flavors included in its composition. Country manufacturer - Russia.
- Toothpaste without sodium lauryl sulfate and parabens of the brand "New Pearl". Affordable pricing makes it more attractive to the buyer. Country of origin - Russia.
- Toothpaste brand Paradontak. Actively used in the fight against bleeding and inflammation of the gums. It is recommended by dentists to prevent the development of periodontitis and caries. The country of manufacture is Slovakia.
Children's toothpastes: list
The range of toothpastes for kids are such brands:
- Toothpaste brand "President" for children. Recommended for children 1-4 years. Favorably affects the strengthening of milk teeth and polishes enamel. Available with raspberry flavor. The country of origin is Italy.
- Toothpaste brand Splat: Juicy Set and JUNIOR. Juicy Set is recommended for children under 5 years old. Fluoride-free toothpaste with the name JUNIOR is suitable for children from 5 to 9 years. Restores tooth enamel, enriches it with microelements and vitamins. Interferes with occurrence and development of stomatitis. Country of origin - Russia.
- Toothpaste brand "Rocks" - Baby PRO. It is suitable for children up to 3 years. This paste differs in that it strengthens the mucosal immunity and also neutralizes dangerous acids in the mouth. Essential minus of toothpaste - high price. Country of origin - Russia.
- Weleda brand toothpaste - Kinder-Zahngel. It is intended for children from 0 to 4 years. Available in gel form. Qualitatively eliminates plaque, besides, has antimicrobial properties. Contains extract from seaweed. The country of origin is Germany.
Fluoride-free toothpaste must be alternated with fluoride-containing products. For the correct selection and use of any toothpaste you need to consult a dentist.