Beautiful, pink nails and well-groomed skin of hands - the business card of any person. But sometimes even with careful care, annoying troubles happen. One of the common problems is the yellow fingernails. The causes of this defect can be different: external factors and serious diseases hidden inside the body.
Changing the color of the nail plate - not too attractive phenomenon. The causes can be heterogeneous: these are domestic factors and serious diseases. In the second case, the yellow tint is one of the indirect symptoms, but not the first, because the disease is already beginning to assert itself at the time of the nails change. Then, in order to eliminate the cosmetic defect, it is necessary with the help of a specialist to look for the root of evil.
Yellow nails as a sign of the disease
On the appearance of nails affects, above all, human health. With poor-quality nutrition, frequent stresses, the proper functioning of the internal systems and organs is disturbed, the metabolism slows down, there is a shortage of necessary microelements. The following diseases are the most common causes of yellow nails:
- nail fungus - the most common cause of such a "coloring." But in this case, deformation and a change in their structure is almost always observed. They become very fragile, begin to exfoliate, but at the same time thicken, strongly harden, bend down or to the side;
- infectious lesion of the body - viral hepatitis or obstructive jaundice resulting from blockage of the bile ducts. Because of them, there are difficulties with the flow of bile;
- chronic lymphostasis, diabetes mellitus. In these cases, along with the yellowing of the nail plate, its deformation can also be observed: it becomes thicker, takes on an unnatural, irregular shape;
- yellowness may indicate malfunction of the cardiovascular system, when there is a lack of oxygen in the tissues. In this case, the nail plate often becomes yellow at first, and then bluish tint;
- abnormal liver function, including its chronic intoxication, when there is an increased bilirubin content in the blood. He paints not only the nails, but also the skin;
- disorders of the thyroid gland - diffuse goiter. In this pathology, along with the characteristic symptoms, a change in the color and structure of the nail may be observed;
- psoriasis "at the same time" with the skin also affects the nails. They turn yellow, exfoliate, hemorrhages are noticeable under them. In some cases, the plate may peel off completely.
Why the fingernails are yellow: reasons not related to pathologies
Not always the deformation and discoloration of the nail plate indicate the presence of serious pathologies in the body. Often the cause is "third-party" factors:
- long-term use of broad-spectrum antimicrobial agents (tetracycline, doxycycline, minocycline, methacycline, etc.) in high concentrations;
- excessive smoking - nicotine eats into the pores of the skin and between the scales of the horny surface of the nail, which provokes the color of tissues in yellow;
- excess iodine in the body - the problem of workers in large-scale industries, where the frequent release of vapors of this substance
- improper hand protection when interacting with household chemicals;
- lack of nail care or improperly selected cosmetics (varnish, liquid for its removal). In this case, only the outer (visible part) of the plate suffers.
What diagnosis is needed?
So, from what the nails on the hands turn yellow, we found out that there are many reasons. Therefore, it is not possible to choose any one suitable for all cases treatment or examination algorithm. If you notice that your nails began to change color, then the first thing to do is to contact a specialist - a dermatologist. If he does not find any diseases related to his competence, an appointment should be made with the district physician, who may order the following types of examinations:
- complete blood count, including research on sugar (to exclude or, conversely, confirm the presence of diabetes);
- biochemical blood tests to detect malfunctions of internal organs (liver, gallbladder, etc.).
- if necessary, the therapist may prescribe the advice of specialists such as endocrinologist, TB specialist, infectious diseases specialist and neurologist.
What can be done to return the natural color?
If the unnatural and ugly nail color is only a cosmetic defect, and not a symptom of the disease, you can use proven methods that will help you return them to their normal appearance in a short time.
- Choose other care products: use a soft nail polish remover without acetone, with vitamin supplements, firming or restoring varnish.
- Do not varnish your nails at least for a while. They must also breathe, and not be under the impermeable synthetic film all the time.
- Use lemon for bleaching. Cut it in half, squeeze out the juice, dip the tips of your fingers so that the nails are completely immersed in it, and hold for 15 minutes. Then grease with rich nourishing cream.
- Use toothpaste. Using a toothbrush, apply it in a circular motion on the plates, thoroughly clean the surface and rinse with water. Perform the procedure until you achieve the desired result.
- Very effective in whitening soda nails. It is diluted with warm water to a pasty consistency, applied to the surface, held for about 5 minutes and washed off with water.
If your nails began to change color and structure, do not rush to engage in self-treatment or elimination of cosmetic defects in the home. First of all, consult a specialist. After all, no matter how banal the phrase that the disease is easier to prevent and treat its first manifestations, than to fight the consequences, this is true.